Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 426 Rear Hydraulic Hoses Broke

Rocket Man ยท 2021-07-25 20:30

Hello all. Well here i am again with a broken down Cat 426 Backhoe. This time it is the rear hydraulic hoses that just exploded. Long overdue i am sure but why me? LOl SN is 7BC00580 and the hoses i am trying to identify and can not find them in my manual, are: 1) the two long (about 4 feet or more) rubber ones that go from the control valve to the bottom of the STICK cylinder. 2) the two SHORT ones that go to the BUCKET cylinder. These are short ones (about 30 inches) at the control valve and go thru the boom knuckle and attach to a set of metal lines that go to top of boom where bucket cy is. The manual i have has just about every part listed for this machine but i just can not identify these hoses by part number. Maybe someone out there can give me the right numbers or tell me where i can find them. I am posting some pics that may help identify these hoses.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2021-07-25 21:40

    See attachments. Are these the ones.?

  2. #2Rocket Man2021-07-25 22:05

    I will review them but . Not sure which ones are which because they all look about the same size.

  3. #3aighead2021-07-26 12:21

    I didn't realize there was an option, other than removing the bad and taking them into the shop to have replaced...

  4. #4Rocket Man2021-07-26 12:35

    I order them online direct from Cat. Have not had good experience with the generic made up hoses. LOL So if anybody is interested here are the part numbers. Thanks to Nige i was able to isolate the numbers. These are on the BACKHOE only. 1) Bucket Cylinder: 9R2988 takes 2 hoses that are identical 2) Stick Cylinder : 9R0226 it also takes 2 identical hoses.

  5. #5edgephoto2021-07-26 23:43

    Glad you found the numbers. Cat makes the hoses up in the shop to Cat specs. I would trust they know what to do. At least if there was an issue I am sure the dealer would stand behind it, if the dealer near you is anything like my local one. The guy who makes my hoses has been around for at least 30 years that I know of. He makes them for most place around, uses Aeroquip hose, does them while I wait and is priced reasonable. Between friends, my brother and I we have had a fair share of hoses made over the years. He also makes fire hoses and other industrial stuff. I would not trust a local auto parts store.

  6. #6Rocket Man2021-07-27 08:12

    You are right on. Auto parts stores do what they do best, sell stuff. Cat has been around a long time and they do stand behind their stuff. I know that if those hoses fail too soon, they will make them good.

  7. #7edgephoto2021-07-27 09:32

    I have the same machine as you Rocketman. A thousand numbers "newer" or so. My machine need(s)/neeeded some love. She had a damaged boom cylinder. I repacked all the cylinders and have replaced all hoses visible. The ones under the floor have not been done just yet but will soon. I am doing some welding on the cab floor to repair rusted out stuff. Once the welding is done I will replace under the floor hoses too. They are rock hard. I priced the hoses from Cat. Ouch! My connection for hoses does them for a fraction of the price. I had the same hoses you are replacing made up plus 2 others and he charged me $120 for all 6. Hard to beat that. One hose from Cat is more. I hope I do not regret using his hoses. Based on history I won't but time will tell.

  8. #8Rocket Man2021-07-27 09:59

    These are good machines, when in good working order. This one has a smoking motor and engine needs rebuilding. Sheet metal is all good. backhoe drifts down in matter of minutes and i have to keep lifting it. The lift cylinders are the ones that need new seals. Not much money for parts, just labor. The hoses were bad and i knew they would go out just when it was bad timing and i was right. I have had to replace the resolvers in the tilt and lift valves. Front bucket works as it should now. Just waiting for hammer to fall on next thing that can happen. LOL Yes those 4 hoses are right at $500 plus tax and again they will last forever. Make up hose places,,, not so good. I would rather spend more and rest assured it will last. BTW i found a place that sell resolvers that are just as good as Cat at half the price.