Hello, I have a 426 Cat backhoe with the swing cylinder seal leaking badly. I was wondering if the end of the cylinder can be removed without taking the cylinder off of the machine? It looks like I could kick the boom over to one side, and unpin the outer end of the rod and unscrew the packing with the cylinder still on the machine. Thanks for the help!! YVC
Yes you should be able to do that. I cant say what the specifics are on a 426
Done all of mine that way. Disconnect cylinder lines and plug, leaving cylinder ports open. Unpin rod, unscrew gland, remove rod and gland, unbolt piston from rod, replace all seals, reinstall, and reconnect. Never pulled a whole cylinder, and, I've done all 3 of mine that way. It does help to pin the removed rod/ piston assembly back in place as a holder to allow piston nut removal.
Hey, Thanks for the help. Did you use a spanner wrench on yours or did you undo the packing gland with a big punch?
I have the spanner (I think), but I probably used my 24" pipe wrench. That's kinda my go to for notched glands.