Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 501 hd engine oil coming out dipstick

dirtmister16 · 2024-07-17 18:21

I recently replaced the oil pressure sensor on a cat 501 HD. That was a job and a half. A few hours later after the repair engine oil has started leaking out of the side dipstick where your supposed to check the oil without raising the cab. Blow by tube is clear and only has slight pressure, no smoke. Checked at fill cap. No pressure there and only a very minor spitting of oil with engine running. No oil running out of main dipstick. Engine runs normal with no issues otherwise. No abnormal smoke from the exhaust either. Serviced within the last month, engine oil and filter, fuel filters,air filters also. It's a weird issue that I can't really wrap my head around. Normally I'd think something internally was a issue but I'm not seeing signs of it. Machine is on fairly level ground. No hills to speak of. Any thoughts?

Replies6
  1. #1Joe H2024-07-17 18:43

    What do you mean by "leaking out of the side dipstick" ? Is it blowing out or leaking ? 30 years of listening to customer describe their problems makes me ask. Joe H

  2. #2dirtmister162024-07-17 19:26

    When I'm looking at it it is leaking not blowing. So it's not under pressure. It is a small leak but still it should not happen. In case you are not familiar with a 501 On a cat 501 there is a dipstick on the right hand of the machine. where a operator can check the engine oil without Jacking up the cab to check the main dipstick on the engine by the filter.

  3. #3Joe H2024-07-17 21:08

    I got that, but wasn't sure which you meant. And you're right I have no idea what it looks like, but someone here does. Is it just pressed in like every other dip stick tube on the planet? Joe H

  4. #4dirtmister162024-07-18 11:59

    Yes it is just like any other dipstick. Just cannot fathom what is pushing oil all the way up the tube to leak out the end. Yet it doesn't do it on the other one.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-07-18 14:43

    It’s easy to overlook the easy stuff like an overfilled crankcase or a plugged crankcase filter. Did you happen to disassemble any part of the air intake system during your wrestling match with the O/P sensor?

  6. #6dirtmister162024-07-18 18:18

    Engine oil was at the proper level. Yes had the intake tubing off during the process. Nothing was dropped in intake as we blocked that off for that reason, and removed once we installed everything again. . Far as I can tell everything is tight when put back together as well.