Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 5110b on demolition job site

geert-yke ยท 2006-08-20 04:10

Here is a picture from a cat 5110b used on a demolition job site in Holland. The excavators is from euro demolition and is used for the removal of foundations.

Replies20
  1. #1jazak2006-08-20 13:17

    I don't think its big enough. :laugh :laugh That would be fun to run one of those for a day though.:thumbsup

  2. #2Scott_5272006-08-20 14:44

    Does Cat still make that machine? I saw it on their site awhile back but it hasn't been listed since. Looks like a nice rig though.

  3. #3tylermckee2006-08-20 15:19

    You post a lot of pictures of these monster machines, curious if you run them, or if not how you are involved. Great pics, keep them coming.

  4. #4Ford LT-90002006-08-20 20:18

    It would cost a fortune just to move that machine to a site and plus its expensive to run. Nothing moves things quicker than explosives :yup

  5. #5CascadeScaper2006-08-20 23:50

    Kinda what I was thinking, seems to be a huge machine for a task that could be handled by (2) 65 ton machines easily.

  6. #6Dozerboy2006-08-21 00:46

    Not if they recycle a lot of there concrete especially on a large job. One large hoe ripping up footings and such in large pieces and stock piling them to be sized, steel cleaned, and cashed is the best. You have a lot less shards of concrete in the soil to separate than from explosives or breakers. All of the demo I have done in this way was easily clean enough to be sold to Cal Trans as Class 2 base. But I do agree the fastest and cheapest (short term) to demo something like that is with explosives.I would be kind of scared to track one of those around a demo site as easy as the tip over.

  7. #7digger242j2006-08-21 06:13

    In case he doesn't check back in for a while, Geert is involved in the engineering end of things. I don't have time to look for the thread now, but I think that was said one of the other threads. His company does the modifications to the base machines that turn them into those long reach monsters that demo tall buildings. As far as second guessing the contractor's choice of that machine for that job, all I have to say is that anyone who can afford to buy one like that must have a whole lot better head for business than I've ever had. If that's the one they want to use, they probably crunched the numbers, and that's the one that'll make the best profit... (Oh, and I think Geert said explosives are a no-no over there.)

  8. #8Tigerotor77W2006-08-21 15:31

    No. The large shovels and excavators are no longer made. The largest models are now the 385C and 5090B.

  9. #9dirt3332008-03-18 21:13

    wow

  10. #10redline2008-03-19 17:51

    wow that sure looks like one badass machine, can anyone tell me the benefit of using a bucket like that instead of a ripper? i mean apart from the fack the bucket can clean the site after the crete is broken up? would the breakout force be similar to a ripper or is there a marked difference in the two ( I have very limited knowledge in this work)

  11. #11cat 325ccr2008-03-19 18:47

    they have any 5110b high reach demo?

  12. #12Dozerboy2008-03-19 20:34

    You can't pickup the chunks of concrete with a ripper. The breakout force on a ripper would be a lot more then a bucket for the most part.

  13. #13BIGBEN20042008-03-19 20:51

    That thing is so big it makes the cab look VERY SMALL

  14. #14Senator215i2008-03-19 21:00

    cat 325ccr i think i have a magazine with pics of a 5110 high reach i think its from over in europe round the same area. ill see i can find the magazine and get some pics for you.

  15. #15Senator215i2008-03-19 22:09

    here you go cat 225ccr sorry for the dodgy pics but its the best i can do at the moment dont have a scaner and my camera has taken a flogging from being in my work bag for the past couple of months.

  16. #16cat 325ccr2008-03-19 22:59

    thanks alot i realy appreache it!!! my brother is a custom model builder and he's building a CAT 5110B teloscopic demo boom for it!

  17. #17redline2008-03-20 18:06

    thanks dozer that makes sense

  18. #18AtlasRob2008-03-21 12:27

    ripper The ripper has its uses, but relys on the grunt of the machine to pull it. With a bucket ( of the right size, not a toothless ditching bucket :Banghead ) you can get the teeth under a slab and the with the back of the bucket on the ground, crowd the bucket while pushing out with the dipper to greatly increase your breakout force. I've seen plenty of big machines stood on tiptoe trying to pull up slabs of concrete that a machine a lot smaller with a good operator on can lift. The ripper wins where you have cracks or edges you couldn't get into with a bucket, or a "screwdriver" who would twist the arm using an oversize bucket. I wouldn't fancy changing that bucket anyway then I looked again and it has a hitch on it so he might already have attacked the area with a ripper, or breaker

  19. #19bobcat ron2008-03-21 17:43

    By the looks of the bucket, there is a Volvo type Hydraulic quick change on it!

  20. #20Dozerboy2008-03-21 18:23

    Ya Atlas is right I was just to lazy to type that much, but I don't like use a bucket as a "pry bar". I have tore up even HD demo buckets doing that, but some times whatever it takes to get the job done.