Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 525 skidder shift issue

StumpSlinger · 2019-08-04 08:51

I'm looking at a cat 525, I briefly run it and I shifts 1-2 sometimes 3rd then It kicks out to neutral and same way in reverse. Any ideas on the issue? Possible solenoid issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1partsandservice2019-08-08 18:00

    Likely open circuit ,solonoid or wire to solonoid or short to ground. Usually when the gear indicator kicks to neutral it is electrical. Be careful, this repair could likely be the first step to be able to check for further transmission failure... Also no test lights on this diagnostic.

  2. #2Fisher5252024-07-02 09:56

    Did you figure out what your issue was? Im currently having the same issue and can’t figure it out. Ive swapped solenoids around and it hasnt fixed it.

  3. #3Nige2024-07-02 11:33

    This thread was from 5 years ago. You might not get an answer. Why not start with a Serial Number and a brief description of how your problem came about, and what you've tried so far.

  4. #4Fisher5252024-07-02 11:37

    Dont have a serial number on hand, but the skidder was running normal till about a week or two ago and it started jumping out of gear when it got under load when pulling. Ive replaced the R N D switch on the steering wheel. Ive switched solenoids around on the transmission and nothing has changed.

  5. #5Nige2024-07-02 12:37

    So you haven't looked at the oil yet to check if it is dark in colour or smells burned, or cut the transmission filter open to check for debris inside it.? Also there is a combined suction screen & magnetic filter behind a 3-bolt cover towards the bottom of the transmission transfer case. It might also pay you to pull that off and take a look inside it.

  6. #6Fisher5252024-07-02 12:41

    no it just had a full service a few hundred hours ago. In January or February

  7. #7Nige2024-07-02 12:44

    In that case I would suggest you check the items above to confirm that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission before moving forward.

  8. #8StumpSlinger2024-07-03 16:19

    Couldn't tell ya, I walked away from the deal.

  9. #9mills2024-12-17 05:31

    Had a very similar issue with mine. After several solenoid changes, pressure checks... found the wire harness connector plug located under the cab was loose. Looked good visually, but would moved slightly when I pressed them together. It was one of them moments that I instantly knew I had found the problem.