Cat 320E S/N: TFX01457 ; 10,000 hours Machine keeps throwing code 360: Low Engine Oil Pressure. I hooked up ET to it and saw when the code was active, it had 26-30 psi of oil pressure at low and high idle. I had to go grab a fitting to hook up a gauge. When I came back, I hooked up ET and a manual gauge and the pressure was fine. Right around 60 psi on both ET and gauge. The sensor was changed out about 2-3 years ago when it was showing false readings. I wouldn't think it would be electrical, because it shows consistent numbers.
Sticking engine oil filter bypass valve.? Engine oil filter head pressure relief valve.?
Does it have pressure relief in the filter head? That’s nice!
How about right after engine starts? Could it be that someone dropped something in to the oil pan? And don’t say “it’s impossible” - I’ve lived a little and I’ve seen things. Simple things to check: pressure relief valve ( especially on the engine with lots of hours), foreign body in the oil pan, ( suction obstruction) loose oil pump pickup tube.
At higher hours even partially clogged filter will affect the oil pressure. Because it’s reducing the flow, and higher hours engine leaks out more, plus oil pump looses its volumetric efficiency.
Is it 320E LRR?
I don’t have your engine arrangement, but on one with remote filter - it shows the ball valve ( I guess for not making too much mess while servicing), is that fully open?
You should have that, because it shows the one without one up to 167.
Nah! It is oil sampling nipple with the cap! The strap on the cap looks like handle of the ball valve, on illustration. Optical illusion!
I changed the oil filter and it runs fine now. I cut open the old filter and there was some metal flakes and some other kind of build up in there. Looking at rebuild/ reman options now.
At 10 000 - not a bad idea