I have a cat 613C that when warm, will suddenly start blowing oil out of the stack and dipstick rube. When below operating temp, runs and drives great until it gets “warm”. I believe it’s a naturally aspirated 3160 marine engine. Blows oil and black smoke out of every possible office and actually shoots dip stick out of tube. I’ve looked for a blocked breather but could not find one. Anyone had this happen or heard of this happening? Thanks in advance.
You mean it blows oil out of exhaust stack
The earliest 613C scrapers had a 3208 engine in them, later models had a 3116. Got a Serial Number from the tractor end..?
Nige, I don’t have the serial number right off hand but I will post it tomorrow morning when I’m at the shop. I have attached a picture of the valve cover with the 3160. Thank you for the reply. I am way out of my element with the older scrapers.
Dave. That is correct. Oil blows out of the exhaust stack and dipstick tube. Sorry for my bad description
Please see if you can get a Serial Number from the engine also. If the valve mechanism cover is to be believed that engine is NOT original. However it does look like you have a 92X-prefix tractor, because that model was originally equipped with a 3208 model engine that is also a V-8. All the later 613C models were equipped with a 6-cylinder inline engine.
High crankcase pressure like you describe is usually caused by broken rings and burned up pistons.
as above but check the pcv valve on the valve cover to see if its plugged. easy stuff first
oh, and check the diaphragm in the pcv valve
I agree with John with it running pull the oil filler cap does it have a lot of blow by the C model I looked at in SIS was turboed a bad turbo would cont fot oil out the stack but not dip stick.
Had a small engine do this recently. Oil out dipstick, fill, and exhaust. Blowed head gasket. Still ran.
Nige, here is the serial number from the machine. I have not had time to look for the esn. Been a busy summer. A friend of mine stated he thinks the seal between the engine and transmission has failed and fills the motor completely full of oil. We did have to add quite a bit of oil to the tranny before use. (It has since been parked). Does that sound like a possibility? With such an old machine, we aren’t in any hurry to spend a lot of money on it but I will get to it eventually.
Sled Dog, Was it a 3160? If so, how bad was it replacing the head gasket? Thanks in advance
John, That’s kind of what I’m leaning towards just because of the severity of the smoke and oil that pours out of it. Thanks for the advice!
Dave, I will check that when I have it running next. Thanks for the advice!
56wrench, Thanks for the advice! I will check that when I have it running next.
Dave, Yup. It blows oil out of exhaust stack, dipstick tube, and fill tube. Thanks!
OK, so based on the machine S/N you have a very early 613 tractor not a 613C, even if it carries decals that say 613C. The engine model designation is a 3208 (despite what it says on the rocker box) and it will have a 79V Serial Number prefix. See below. TBH I think you are clutching at straws with an oil leak between the transmission and engine being the root cause of the problem. It may be that seal is bad but I think your symptoms point to something in the engine being the problem.
Would have to agree on that, first off if that was the case a quick check of engine oil level would let you know if it was way over full. I know some engines are more sensitive regarding oil level. It just seems like all that would be needed to prove or disprove that as a cause would be to check engine oil level and adjust to proper level and see if problem goes away. Just had a thought, are you sure the dipstick is the correct one for the engine? If the wrong one was installed maybe the engine is just plain over full? One more thing I don't recall reading any history about this machine or problem. Did the machine run for several years and then this problem started? Or did you just come into possession of it and it has done it from the first day you saw machine?
Check to see if you have a engine driven pump and see if scavage pump is pulling oil from the torque housing. I can't see it transferring oil fr. om the rear seal unless your torque housing is filling up I had a straight 613 get a plug from the starter plug up the drain and cause the torque to run full