Here are some pics of a new Cat 772.
Stying ? Can't say I admire that stying. Center cab ??? Headlights down in the mud,dirt,water,zone. Guard rails ?? Certainly not the traditional truck look.
Man, the cab interior is sure a lot nicer than what I'm used to. Center cab is safer for the operator, he (she) can guage distance to edge of haul road or fill better. Driver is sitting right on top of the engine however, better hope the AC keeps on working..... C18 6 cylinder inline at about 535HP and it will scoot along at about 50 MPR. That's a lot faster than the 773 it replaces. This is the kind of truck I ought to be driving...
Man that thing sure has a lot of chicken lights on it!
I'm afraid I would have to disagree on that point. In a traditional setup where the cab sits on the outside edge, you have the ability to see exactly where your left side is in relation to the road or whatever you may be driving over. The blind side of the truck is a bit different, that is a more difficult issue. But with the cab in the center, both side effectively become blind sides. You have no way to look down and see the edge for close maneuvering. So instead of having one side where you know for sure where you are, and the other side where you know where you are with some certainty, but not positively, you now have two sides where you are effectively guessing. It's really no different with the larger F series trucks where they have moved the operator's seat to the inside instead of being on the outside, just more pronounced. That's the biggest complaint I have heard from truck driver's on the larger F series trucks.....that and that the windows don't roll down, so it's hard to hear the horn on the hoe or loader. Brian
If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 772 replaced the 771D, and the 773F replaced the 773E.
The off side is always the worst for drivers. I believe that's why Cat split the difference. I've retrieved any number of haul trucks that ran off the haul road on that side. BUT, I've never run one of these new style rigs, so may have to reserve judgement on that. Yeah, it looks like the windows are sliders. Good luck with those, eh! I can't run the Cat video on this model, my computer is still mucked up so I can't see the rest of the details yet. The Cat web site doesn't show a 773 model in production any more granitefan....
Main Page: http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=271364&x=7 Direct Link: http://www.cat.com/cda/layout/cda/layout?m=271364&x=7&f=227119 With the exception of a bit of a width difference, wouldn't driving a 772 be similar to a 740 ADT?
http://www.cat.com/equipment/off-highway-trucks/off-highway-trucks http://www.cat.com/equipment/off-highway-trucks/mining-trucks My mistake granitefan, I didn't see that Cat shows it as an afterthought....
I don't think so. Driving a 740 Volvo is like herding a hog. Same with the 40 ton Moxies. If I had my druthers, I'd take a rigid frame any day. But it's all in what you get used to and I haven't run the AWD's all that much. With time I'm sure I'd get used to it and maybe even prefer it for some type of work where traction is a premium.
No problem. I know what you mean, it does look like an afterthought.
When I saw they thread name I was thinking are they building the off highway tractor version again? The 772 was a 773 with a bed in the past! Looking at some of the same model numbers returning and overlapping maybe cat has finally ran out of numbers? Dug
773F was bumped to 60 ton, 772 is a 50 tonner. We have two of these and they are a great truck, Use about 250 litres of fuel less a shift then a 773D. A little slower on the steep grades but lower cost per ton.