Hey hef Working on j45 McCloskey crusher Heui c9 diag port is in control panel doesn't have one near engine ecm. Plugged com 3 in no lights. Got power and ground 24vs but pin layout is totally different than trouble shooter on closer inspection the letters are different orientation. I snapped pic but quality is poor c9 s/n Thanks reh4213
So i looked at schematic and according to s/n reh4313 the ground should be b and it's in c and as far as I know that's the normal for equipment 9 pin a power b ground. Can anyone say forsure c should be blank
A. is always battery + B. Is always battery -. Without those, your comm adapter won't work. D and E should be CDL. F and G should be J1939. In theory, C gets connected to the J1939 shielding, but I don't think I've seen it used before.
CAT must be different. I always thought the J1939 standard was this??
It does not even look like the pins are present in some of the places they should be. I am guessing the mfr. put their wires wherever and it is up to you to adapt them back. If I was going to be working on this equipment a lot, I would try and make an adapter from that panel mount connector to something standard. In the meantime, I would figure out what wires are on what pins by schematic and physical/voltmeter verification if possible, and temporarily connect it with alligator clips or something. Here is something that might work, buy this cable, shave off the center keyway, and cut/splice/rearrange wires as needed. I don't know if your existing data link connector has the fat or skinny housings on C and J, though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/353548268546 If that Y-adapter does not have all wires where expected, I bought one of these and made my own adapter for another manufacturer's equipment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252959288343 If you really want to roll your own: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333979707693 My laptop bag is getting really full of cables I have made.
Most engines/machines I've come across use CDL (Cat DataLink) as the prime form of communication for diagnostic purposes using ET or whatever scan tool the tech happens to have. The J1939 datalink is used for a sub-program in ET called Winflash that is purely for uploading software to the ECM Look on the back side of the plug and find some wire numbers and compare them to the snip below would be my first suggestion. 120 is power, 229 is ground. 892/893 are your twisted pair for the Datalink & 900/990 are the twisted pair for J1939. Compared to your photo it's obvious that, in the words of the famous Chinaman, Sum Ting Wong.
I am seeing that Cat does things differently, no surprise there, but here is the actual connector https://obd2allinone.com/products/catconn.asp Could it be that power and ground are not as expected in your connector but everything else is?
With the dagnostic port being in the control panel on this machine instead of close by the ECM on a short harness (circled) what's the betting that the OEM "re-wired" the machine to get the diagnostic connector in their preferred location and in doing so got the pinouts wrong..?
Is there not two different 9 pin connectors? One for off road Cats and such and the other common on trucks and such?
There is a 9-pin connector for on-highway engines that requires a different harness between the Comm Adapter and the diagnostic connector. AFAIK for everything EXCEPT on-highway engines the pinouts on the connector are the same. This particular installation is classed as an industrial engine therefore it would come into the off-highway category.
Aksherly, there's two different on-highway diagnostic connectors (that I know of). Cat calls them, from memory, Paccar and ATA (American Trucking Association). I have adapters to convert them both to the off-highway connector on the Comm adapter, but I rarely use them. I think I have these right. ATA Paccar
And somewhere along the line they changed the black connector to the current green one. So green test equipment will plug into black vehicles but not vise versa. The highest plastic pin tower in Cmark's picture above is smaller on the green version.
The green one has higher data speed broadcasting rate.
Anyway back to the Cat way of doing things, if it were mine I would probably trace out all the wires to the existing connector shell and see if they are anything like the Cat standard. Then use the pin tools available here https://obd2allinone.com/products/catconn.asp to rearrange the existing pins if you deem that appropriate. Otherwise it could be that McCloskey had a different pinout for something proprietary of theirs but that seems doubtful to me. I carry a connector setup with just stripped wires with me, if I find something where the connector is missing or can't figure it out, alligator clips get the job done, connect to the bus wherever it can be found, usually there are connectors here or there that have the bus present on them.
I agree. See post #6 above. Based on the schematic of the connector and the pin locations in the photo it could be nothing more than one wire in the wrong location.
Does anyone have the pin diagram for a 9 pin cdl/cat ( for a 2013 skidsteer) to that goes to the 15 pin D-sub connector? I'm starting to wonder if I'm using the wrong adapter and that is causing my issue where the J1939 isn't showing its communicating properly (incomplete). Attached it how mine is currently wired. I verified today I do have can signal at the port itself, it's just ET that is reporting the connection is incomplete.
Is your Comm Adapter OEM or aftermarket.? Aftermarket ones seem to have a bit of a "reputation". Have you successfully connected to other machines using the same Comm Adapter and cable.?
Aftermarket. I only purchased for this one skidsteer, so not I never have connected to anything else. I was reading online, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but that cat has different 9pin to 15 d-sub pins for different applications, so idk.. I ordered another cable from one that states it's specifically for skidsteers, but it's going to be a couple weeks before it arrives. So I was hoping someone had one they could ohm out and give me the configuration pin to pin.
My money is on either the cable or the Comm Adapter, or both, being the source of the problem. From anecdotal experience aftermarket Comm Adapters & cables are fickle things. TBH you would have been better spending your money on a used genuine OEM Comm Adapter. They come up for sale all the time on eBay. The Datalink cable you require is Cat Part Number 457-6114. There may be a newer Part Number available.
Not sure how they come up with that. The same cable is used for everything apart from on-highway engines for which there are a couple of different cable options if my memory serves me correctly.
Yes, the problem I have is it I can't really tell which is the fake and which is the real deal
It's relatively easy. when searching:- 1. Only search for used items. 2. Discard anything that says it is supplied/ships from India, even if the ad says it is "used". I can guarantee it won't be. 3. Discard anything that does not show a carrying case in the photos of the item. An OEM Comm Adapter was ALWAYS supplied in a carrying case when it was new. 4. Look closely at the carrying case. Consider the case style, that it carries the Cat Part Number label, and look for it to be well worn. See this LINK as an example. I found that in less than 2 minutes. From the photos I would say it is a used genuine OEM Comm Adapter. It's a Series II Comm Adpater so not the latest. It may be necessary to look for a couple of weeks waiting for one to turn up.
Ok thanks, I think I'm going to buy one of these, so for my 2013 272D XHP, it doesn't matter if it's an adapter II? I thought I needed adapter 3 but I really do not know what I need apparently. I only need it for my 272d, I would not be using on other equipment
The Comm Adapter 3 was introduced on the market around 2012-13, around the time your machine was built. That being the case a Series 2 adapter should work OK, but I suggest that you need to confirm that information before purchasing one. Either that or keep searching, a Comm Adapter 3 will pop up for sale sooner or later.
I have purchased 5 "aftermarket" adapters and sent them back in an attempt to connect to my truck with CAT engine. I have also purchased an "on road" cable for it but have not been able to get the adapter to power on. I tested the plug for power and ground and have both where they should be. The only thing I can't determine is which is power and ground on the end of the cable where it plugs in to the adapter. There is power and ground through the cable but not sure if they are going to the right pins in the adapter.