Hi, is it ok to not use cat oil for this? Understood it is SAE10w hydraulic oil. and about 1.1 gallon. Any filters? Serial number 9wm01864
Are you talking about the drive box for the hydrostatic transmission.?
yes, or both?
Sorry I don't understand. i was looking for clarification regarding exactly which component on the machine you were referring to.......
The drive box
Thank you. I just wanted to confirm that you were talking about the drive box and not the hydrostatic transmission. Ok, so in answer to your questions: - 1. It is not obligatory to use Cat-Branded oil. 2. The oil is NOT a 10W hydraulic oil. The oil in that compartment, and the oil for the axles, requires additives that hydraulic oils do not possess. 3. The oil you require is one that meets the Caterpillar TO-4 specification. Most commerical lubricant companies will have an oil of this type in their range, although I have no idea which of the major brands you have in Norway. 4. Lastly I am not at all certain that 10W is even the correct viscosity. Can you give me some idea of the maximum (summer high) and minimum (winter low) ambient temperatures in your particular location please. Might I suggest that an Operation & Mainteance Manual would be of some use to you.? Search for Caterpillar Publication reference SEBU6868. Here is one on eBay although for your location it might be more cost-effective to download one from the Cat Pubs web site.
minus 25-30 and plus 15-20
In that case even an SAE10W TO-4 is most certainly NOT the oil for your application. To cover that temperature range will require a multigrade TO-4 specification oil. Which of the major oil companies trade in your area.? I can look though their offerings to find something suitable.
Castrol
So the multigrade Castrol TO-4 product is called Trans C-HT. Specification sheet attached. The other alternative is the Cat product TDTO-TMS. All major oil companies will manufacture a multigrade TO-4 oil. I suppose it all depends on availability in your area.