So the rear axle was making some noise, drained the fluid and found metal flakes and a 1” long tooth from one of the gears. The machine is in the hills and how big of a job am I looking at? It is the rear oscillating axle so can I get away with removing the tires and axle tubes? Will that allow me access to removing all the gears Or do I need to remove the whole axle? It would be nice to avoid that since I’d have to remove the hi/lo pumps and the hydrostatic transmission. Thanks for looking!
I think a lot depends on the location within the axle assembly of the gear that has shed a tooth. Trying to reinstall wheel ends (removal is no problem, they just fall off when you take the bolts out) onto an oscillating axle housing that is installed on a machine is something akin to trying to push wet spaghetti up a cat's ***. All the repair manuals show the axle being worked on in the vertical position.
Thanks Nige, I have never worked on One before. I did notice every procedure called for the axle to be removed but had a slim hope for an easier job. Looks like I’ll try to limp it a few miles to a trailer and do it at the shop. Thanks for responding
I'm not saying it can't be done in situ, just that to get the axle out of the machine and into somewhere dry/warm so that it can be oriented vertically would make the job so much simpler. Especially when it comes to making things like bearing adjustments. Also, as you have already discovered, the procedure in the service manual only covers disassembly/assembly of the axle in the vertical position, and would not necessarily translate to doing the job in a horizontal position.