Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 924 G transmission problems

GerryBR ยท 2015-12-19 12:56

Hello, yesterday I got some work to do with my cat 924G and I noticed that a new problem is arriving. 3 or 4 times the transmission did nothing, when the gear was engaged. After trying many times forward & reverse it returned to normal life again. Does anyone knows, which steps should I take? In my oppinion it looks like to be an electrical contact problem. Thanks for helping advice Gerry

Replies22
  1. #1Nige2015-12-19 14:01

    By the symptoms it's likely to be electrical. Do you have an electrical schematic..?

  2. #2Bob/Ont2015-12-19 16:12

    I would check the neutralizer switch, maybe get it acting up then switch it off. Those switches in the pedal break up. Later Bob

  3. #3cdm1232015-12-21 22:15

    I have had mine for over a year now but old habits are hard to break and I some times slap the forward revers shifter when I am using the one on the joystick, it can only be one or the other, not both. A quick *** and it's usually back to work after centering both and picking one.

  4. #4DB22015-12-25 16:38

    This and the parking brake Seems it will even sound the alarm when reverse is selected

  5. #5cdm1232015-12-25 18:33

    Yes if you hit a large bump crossing a busy street the p break can bounce up, ask me how I know.

  6. #6Hardscapes2024-01-30 14:24

    I know this post was years ago but i have a 924g having same issue, i changed the neutralizer switch, e brake switch. I have to shut off machine wait 15 min or so and it will move again. Local dealer has not been helpful Thanks Rob

  7. #7Nige2024-01-30 14:40

    If you can post a Serial Number we can start from scratch diagnosing it. I need to look at whether there is any adjustment procedure for the neutralizer switch.

  8. #8Hardscapes2024-01-30 14:46

    Hopefully you can see it ok

  9. #9Hardscapes2024-01-30 14:52

    Update, it was trailer to a local guy who thought he could fix it but just recently got hurt and cant. I just found out as im making arrangements to have it trailered back to my shop that it now only have 3rd gear forward . I guess this happened as he was moving dirt trying to make happen whats in my video I should have it back this week. Hoping not a bigger issue Thanks

  10. #10Nige2024-01-30 15:03

    Looks like 9SW017xx. Last 2 digits on the end of the S/N are not visible in the photo and ideally would be a good idea to provide them just to identify what type of transmission (Std or Low Speed) it has installed. When you get it back the first thing I would suggest to check is the transmission oil level, colour, & smell. Is the oil dark & cloudy or clear & bright.? Does it smell burned.?

  11. #11Hardscapes2024-01-30 16:13

    It was recently tested at dealer and was told its good. But will check again soon as i get it back

  12. #12Nige2024-01-30 16:36

    Was that before or after it was reduced to only 3rd speed forward.? If it was before then I would suggest you are in "assume nothing" situation.

  13. #13Hardscapes2024-01-30 18:26

    Agreed. I have the full serial number in my office so ill get that to you tomorrow and let you know why the machine is back at the shop Thanks Rob

  14. #14Hardscapes2024-02-05 11:42

    Machine is coming back today

  15. #15Hardscapes2024-02-06 06:11

    Machine is back, i posted the full serial number. Any help will be greatly appreciated

  16. #16Nige2024-02-06 09:28

    So based on the Serial Number it has a standard transmission. That may or may not be relevant at some point. Can you check the basics please. What type & grade of oil do you use.? Oil level, colour (clear & bright vs dark & cloudy), does the oil smell burned., etc, etc.? Remove & inspect the magnetic screen. You will need to drain some of the transmission oil to do this. Also need to look at the power train electronic control system for Diagnostic Codes. You can do this first if you want. See the attached procedure. You will need to locate the Harness Code Plug which is CONN 14, machine location 53 on the schematic that I will send you.

  17. #17carllowe2024-07-31 22:02

    New to the page. Just recently bought a 2003 924G with the same issue Hardscapes is having. I have to switch the joystick shift button from N to F or N to R multiple times before it finally jumps into gear. Is there some type of shifting solenoid that may be delaying the shifting?

  18. #18Nige2024-08-01 05:07

    Can you post a Serial Number please. All info, including the correct electrical schematic, stems from that. Once we have that then it will be time to get into diagnostics of the electrical/electronic systems. Unfortunately the thread creator and all the others who tagged on to it since left you hanging somewhat by never conming back with information regarding what the problem was. You'll need the attachment from Post #17 above regarding Diagnostic Codes.

  19. #19carllowe2024-08-02 15:46

    Sorry for the delay Nige and thank you for responding to my comment. Here is the information you needed.

  20. #20Nige2024-08-02 17:29

    OK, so the SENR1218 procedure in Post #17 to access Diagnostic Code will definitely work on your machine. Get into the diagnostics and see what Codes you have then post back.

  21. #21carllowe2024-08-15 13:06

    Sorry for the delay. There is no power to the code reader receptacle, so no follow available yet.

  22. #22Nige2024-08-15 13:16

    You don't necessarily need to hook up to the Service Tool connector to read Codes. If you go back to my earlier post you can use SENR1218 to pull "blink codes" direct from the control. You will need to locate the Harness Code Plug which is CONN 14, machine location 53 on the schematic that I will send you. EDIT: This attachment may shed some light for you.