Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 924H Heater issue

Snowman181 ยท 2022-11-14 09:23

Hello! I purchased a used 2009 Cat 924H loader which has around 6,000 hours on it. I'm using it to push snow this winter. We used it for the first time on Thursday/Friday and everything worked perfectly. I shut it off that night, shut the master off, and plugged the block heater in. Saturday I go to start it and it starts right up but there is no heat or air. This model has a rocker switch with 3 settings, defrost, off, and AC; nothing was coming on. It has a separate rocker switch with 3 fan speed settings as well. I checked the fuses and they were all good. At this point i'm thinking it is a switch. This morning I go to start it up and still nothing is working. Then all of a sudden the defrost kicks on and everything is working as it should. I went out and plowed for 3 hours with no issues. Once I got back I tried playing with the switch and the wires under the switch to see if I could get it to stop again; then I would know it was a bad switch or loose wire coming into the switch. I couldn't get it to stop. I also noticed that the radio was not on and wouldn't turn on. It has worked perfectly before. Then all of a sudden it started working. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue or not ? I was thinking of maybe there being a loose wire. But you would think it would quick working after the bumpy ride through town. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2022-11-14 11:16

    Post a Serial Number and you can have an electrical schematic to assist in your investigations. By the symptoms it could be a loose connection, condensation in a wiring harness connector, a failing wire somewhere, or a dozen other possibilities.

  2. #2Snowman1812022-11-14 11:38

    CAT0924HCHXC01254

  3. #3Nige2022-11-14 11:39

    Check your messages.

  4. #4DB22022-11-14 13:17

    Does that model have a continuous duty solenoid to operate the cab power? They tend to freeze up causing similar symptoms.

  5. #5Snowman1812022-11-14 13:59

    I guess I am not sure. I am a bit green when it comes to heavy equipment in terms of "mechanics". That would make sense possibly being that it worked all day and sat overnight then didn't work.

  6. #6DB22022-11-14 14:18

    If you check the schematic Nige sent you follow the power distribution to the cab. There will be a heavy wire in and a heavy wire out with one or two smaller operating wires. A quick shot with a heat gun when its acting up should do the trick.

  7. #7Snowman1812022-11-14 15:33

    Is this the connection point you're talking about ?

  8. #8DB22022-11-14 17:43

    Replied to your PM.