Hello all. I'm new to this forum and new to the heavy equipment field. I am an auto mechanic by trade but know relatively little about about the heavy duty stuff so I thought this site would be a good resource. Recently I have begun working on a 1978? CAT 930 wheel loader. SN 41K. I just replaced the front transfer case output shaft seal behind the parking brake. Pain in the butt for a heavy equipment newb! Got it done but as a result I need to top off the trans/transfer case oil. I had purchased several gallons of CAT TDTO 30wt oil from the dealer for it but I need more since I will soon be replacing the rear output shaft seal and I lost more than I thought I would in the course of the repair. My question- Is there any other oil besides the CAT brand oil that I can use in the trans that will meet the proper spec (TO-2/TO-4) that will save me some money? The CAT oil is aprox $17 per gal. Does Rotella diesel oil meet this spec? Any other suggestions? I have been told that 10w30 would be fine but I want to be sure. This machine along with others are used in the construction of places of worship and I have volunteered to care for the repair and maintenance of them. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you and sorry for the long post!
Look for a drive train 30wt oil that meets to-4 specs.If the oil has lots of hours on it might as well buy a filter and change it. Bob
Thanks for your reply. Are you aware of any specific brands that meet this spec? In looking at different heavy duty oils such as Rotella I haven't noticed the TO-4 spec. Is the filter a spin on?
Most parts places can supply the oil, Napa has a good line, oil filter should be a cartridge type, don't be afraid to drain into clean pan and reuse if it looks clean.
Call a oil dealer ,bulk plant and ask about their drive train oil for Cat machines ,I buy my oil there cheaper than napa.Motor oil won't work.Call Cat dealer about filter and o-rings needed. Good luck Bob
One of these brands should be available near you: http://www.valvoline.com/products/c...products/transmission-fluids-and-gear-oils/79 http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENCVLMOMobiltransHDSeries.aspx http://www.purusproducts.com/documents/TO 4 DRIVE TRAIN OILS.pdf https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77338&docFormat=PDF http://www.totaloilsolutions.co.nz/our-products/contracting/transmission/ http://www.sinclairoil.com/pdfs/pds/to-4_fluids.pdf http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/F5944AAC6DC00B8680257AA900532A5A/$File/pds_castrol_trans_c_3970.pdf http://www.united-oil.com/products/catelist.aspx?cid=51 http://s04.static-shell.com/content...irax/shell-spirax-product-family-brochure.pdf http://www.phillips66lubricants.com...Powershift Transmission Fluid TDSw_726710.pdf http://www.scfuels.com/specsheets/SCFuels/SCFuels Ultra TFD Fluid 6.07.pdf http://lubeoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/76-HT4-Fluid.pdf http://www.mid-wood.com/images/E0261001/Cenexbrochure.pdf http://www.texacobaltic.eu/en/products/off-highway/textran-hd.html http://site.industrial-oil.net/pdfs/Conoco-PowerDrive-Fluid-Spec-Sheet.pdf
Thanks for input guys! And d9gdon, that list is very helpful. Thanks!
And while you have the oil out don't fail to remove and clean and inspect the magnetic filter/strainer. Where's that you ask? under that square cover about 4 inches square below and to the right of the rear yoke on the transfer case. Let us know what you find on it, take picture if you can. This can give you a good idea of what is going on in the transmission. Unless you know it has been out and cleaned often don't panic too much! If you dig around on my posts about a D6 I serviced a few weeks back you can see what a dirty one looks like and that one still seems to be working fine. At least for now! There are three different 41K 930 depending on exact S/N 0001-03207, 03208-05314, 05315-up If you need more info would help to know where yours fits in that list.
Thanks for those tips! I was actually trying to avoid completely draining the oil, just what was needed to to replace the output shaft seals. Maybe it would be good to check that screen you mentioned though since I have no idea of the service history... If I pull off that 4in square cover you mentioned to gain access to the screen, I assume there are seals involved with that cover that I will need to get? The full SN is 41K08121
There will be an O-Ring seal/gasket behind the cover. Replace if it's damaged or hard from age. Nothing else. Part Number appears to be 7L-3111.
Awesome! Thanks for the part number also!
I was going to look the numbers up on morning break, but I see Nige beat me to it! Keep us informed if you need more information. Let us know what you find in that strainer too. Ken
Thanks for the assistance guys!
Thanks for the help you have provided guys. The other day I went to the CAT dealer near me and picked up the gasket for the magnet cover. It was helpful having the part # since the diagrams for a machine this old are not that great. I meant to get a trans filter while there but totally spaced it. Since Im still learning this machine I'm not familiar with where the trans filter is located or what it looks like. Can you direct me to where it is and possibly provide a part number for it? Are there any seals that that are required for the filter replacement? My plan is to work on this machine Dec 24th. Will be replacing the rear transfer case output shaft seal and inspecting/cleaning the magnet. Part numbers are very helpful since locating the right part on a machine this old (1978) using my knowledge, and the at times limited experience/knowledge of the parts staff at my dealer make finding the right part tough. Thanks again for the help!
D-A Lubricants Co. has excellent oils & greases, www.dalube.com Call and speak to Steve for info on the correct lubes and they will quote prices over the phone. I find them MUCH cheaper than Caterpillar.
Thanks for the info. I will check it out!