Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 930 Torque Converter removal

Tjim ยท 2016-07-26 11:13

We have a Cat 930 with a bad torque converter. Can the converter be pulled without the torque converter housing group removed? Thanks?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2016-07-26 11:48

    I would say no, certainly that's the case on bigger machines. Usually the converter complete with housing is removed from the machine then the converter itself can be removed from the housing. The ring of bolts holding the converter into the housing are not normally accessible until the complete assembly is is out of the machine.

  2. #2Tjim2016-07-26 13:24

    Thanks very much!

  3. #3kshansen2016-07-26 13:41

    If you need a description of how to remove converter post a S/N or at the very least the prefix. There appear to be maybe two dozen different "930's"

  4. #4Tjim2016-07-26 13:54

    The s/n is 41k749. Thanks

  5. #5kshansen2016-07-26 15:34

    Not sure you will like what Cat says about it. They say the engine, transmission, converter and transfer gear box have to come out as an assembly. Looks very similar to the old 966C I worked on. I know sometimes we did pull the engine with out the transmission but not sure if it could be done the other way around. Anyhow to get to the converter at the bare minimum you will have to separate the engine from the converter then the converter from the transmission. If you send me a PM with an email address I can send you the instructions as two PDF files, probably take two separate emails to attach both. If you have access to the means to lift the components, 3200 lbs for engine, converter and transmission combined per service manual, it should not be a bad job but does involve a good amount of unhooking and removing components. We did a 966C out in the field with only a frontend loader with a beam fastened in the bucket for a lift and that is probably half again as big a machine as yours. Let me know, I have the PDF files saved to my computer and can send them out as soon as I get an address to send them to for your information.

  6. #6Tjim2016-07-27 12:24

    Thanks very much. We already have the engine out. I'll send you a PM.