i want to thank everyone for there help not out of the woods yet but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is not an on coming train thanks for pointing me to the parts place called offroad equipment, it sent me in positive direction as I have been searching for parts and have been stifled here in Canada by the local supplier--tormount they quoted me over $2,000.00 for 1 (one) replacement brake and band from offroad I can get the intire re-line kit for $130.00us there were also several other parts stores that were good-- urparts.com gave me the same type of quotes it's amazing this internet thing 20yrs ago I owned a D4 traxcavator and had problem with starting clutch and pinion off the pup motor I searched high and low for 3months for just a tattered manual now in a matter of days, I have everything at my finger tips
Finally got the stupid clutch out. Now that I have done it, it does not seem so bad. I do feel kind of stupid asking all those question and after the fact Bob ont explained it pretty good. actually ordered two brake line kits with rivits for $19.00 a kit from offroadequipment.com these guys are out of the states and shipped them from Cleveland to my door for $40.00. At $1.35.00 a liter for gas it would cost me that to go to local dealer to order and pay for the kit's then turn around and go back to pick up.....crazy some pics of the old girl
You need a special punch to roll the rivet ends. They come in 3 sizes. Later Bob
Bob/Ont any idea what one I need the part # 7B-5060 & 5054 for the rivets and a quantity of 40 for each set the brake linings are #6K6170
Hello parky123, Looks like you doing good , i did not try to do the rivet thing, got a new brake band from the Cat. parts guy. One thing that i found was, when you have it back in, an do the adjustment, pay close attention to the clutch to make sure that the clutch is engaged before the brake, on mine i used a 2 by to pust the brake pedal so i could see the clutch leaver ingage, you can adjust the lobe on the clutch so that it moving as soon you start pressing the brake pedal, then the brake should start at about half pedal. Good luck, sam.
1P2874 For 1/4" rivet, 6F6946 For 3/16" rivet, 6V7013 For 5/32" Later Bob
thanks bob hey wosama931b thanks for the info but they quoted me 1850.00 for a new brake band from local cat dealer I am willing to try anything especially when the lining kits are only 19.00 bucks each I got a good diagram (pdf) the gives all dimensions for the linkages--- my brakes were really shot-- I think what happened aside from neglect by previous owner, was the bottom adjustment screw was broke off so it was never touching band and you couldn't adjust it anymore-- top of brake bad was always riding on drum and also I don't think my clutch was fully disengaging due to the position of the stopper bolt on the neck of the throw yoke and there was not a good seal on the big plate which allowed all sorts of crap in there are those pics of the clutch levers?
As for adjustment of the steering valves, with pedals at rest adjust the linkage to get 0.027" clearance between the cam and the roller on the spool. Later Bob
The photo's are the leaver that connects to the rod in the case, the one with oblong hole, and the other is the hyd. clutch lobe that pushes the roller bearing, you can see the grove left from the bearing. the bolt on the yoke must be the correct leingth, or have the right amount of clearence, and acts as a stop. I cant remember the amount of clearence, hopefully some of the HEF guys will know, sam.