hi all, looking at purchasing a 84 cat 936. Its been really well maintained and in quite great condition for its age. Only problem, I HAVE NOT WITNESSED is the guy tells me only on hot days when the machine runs for long duration, the transmission slips in 2nd gear. He says all winter long, no isses what so ever. That being said, worst case scenario and I dont make it threw the snow season, anybody have an experience with pulling the trans on these machines? I just rebuilt the trans on my 05 l60e which was a pain in the ass. I figured this one shouldn't be too bad?
Start at the top of the cab and work your way down. Probably take a day with two men and a day and half to two days going back together with the right lifting equipment. The transmission repair itself is anybody's guess.
Agree with above ^^^