Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 938M with skidder tires

allredhaven ยท 2018-05-07 11:43

Hey guys, I just purchased a 938 and had skidder tires installed at the dealer. The machine has about 14 hours on it and the rear tires are bending and rubbing the fender supports in of camber conditions (already badly damaged right rear plastic and support). I know that they installed bump stops to reduce the turning radius and keep the tires from getting into anything when turning side to side. Do they make a bump stop to limit rear axle travel up and down? And if they do, should this have came with skidder tire install package I purchased? Your input is appreciated!

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2018-05-07 16:30

    If this is a new machine or a used one that you had specially configured by the dealer the first thing I would be doing is picking up the phone to them and following it up with an email with photos of the damage. Is the machine a J3R Serial Number prefix..? I don't see anything that jumps out as a document regarding modifications to the rear axle to limit the oscillation. One thing I did see in a Parts Listing for tyres and rims is a part number of a "Stop Group - Axle Oscillation". If you post your Serial Number I can probably see how it was originally built and check whether that Stop Group was part of the original machine configuration. Can you post a photo of the steering bump stops..?

  2. #2heymccall2018-05-07 17:27

    If you pick certain tire/ rim groups, they do include stops in the parts list.

  3. #3partsandservice2018-05-08 08:04

    Rim inset could be an issue with this deal, not just tire size.

  4. #4allredhaven2018-05-08 08:39

    Yes the loader is a J3R prefix, I don't have whole serial number on hand at the moment. The tires and wheels were added at the dealer prior to delivery, with a few other dealer installed accessories. Below are pics of the turning bump stop, left hand fender rub and the twisted support from the right side rear fender that I removed to inspect.

  5. #5allredhaven2018-05-08 08:45

    Here is a photo of the top of the rear axle where I think a bump stop belongs. Notice the 2 threaded holes in line with the frame rail.

  6. #6Nige2018-05-08 10:14

    I think you're right about the bump stop. There are no parts illustrations of it that I can find, but the breakdown is 2 blocks, 4 bolts, & 4 washers, so it makes sense with the last photo you posted - block on each side held on by 2 bolts. The problem is that there are 4 different arrangements of axle oscillation stops for the J3R-prefix 938M alone, so it's hard to figure out which one you should have without the machine Serial Number. As per the comment in post #4 above, there are a mind-boggling variety of different wheel rim arrangements available - centre flange, offset, etc. And that array of wheel rims is multiplied for every conceivable tyre size. There appears to be somewhere around 50 different arrangements just for a J3R machine ...... I really think you need to be talking to your dealer about this if they were the ones who configured the machine and installed the rims & tyres.