Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat. 941 Tracks.

bplunk ยท 2013-09-29 10:06

Recently purchased a 1969 Cat. 941 loader.. It had sat in a Highway Maint. Yard that had salt and calcium stockpiled and because the loader was not used the track pins and bushing were bad rusted. When the tractor was moved every other pin broke loose as the tracks went over the front idler. I used the tractor that way thinking the other pins would break loose but didn't. Not wanting to put any money in having the tracks replaced I just need some real good advise as how to break them loose. This is a good loader with only 3250 hours and it starts and runs excellent. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. I was thinking maybe to heat the chain at the pin/bushing location and see if it would help????

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2013-09-29 12:08

    Run it into water like a low water crossing or a dug out hole filled with water but just enough to get the pins/bushing on the low side wetted, leave it set for a short time then work the crap out of it. You need to get a liquid on the salts to get them to re-dissolve and dissipate, also anytime you get a heavily rusted bolt with a nut locked on, throw it in a bucket of water, rust soaks it up and will break down easier to get them apart. I wouldn't go the heat route.

  2. #2ih1002013-09-29 15:40

    If you've got any patches of wet mud you can access, get in and work it as hard as you can. The sloppier the better - just don't get stuck. Don't use heat, and don't be tempted to use oil or diesel on the chains. They'll free off then wear out in short order.

  3. #3bplunk2013-09-29 18:24

    Hey thanks guys for the reply. I will try the water soak first. Hey guys thanks for the info. I will do the water soak in the morning . Don't have a muddy area to get into. I will let you know what happens.

  4. #4bplunk2013-10-02 09:11

    I did get some soak time on the tracks. Made a water hole but because of our course soils I needed to line it with a tarp and the tarp had some holes in it and I didn't get a good soak. However the side that set in the water the most loosened up. Of the six pins in the water (overnight) three came free. So today I will get the proper hole built and lined with poly and lay a carpet in to protect the poly when I drive in and I think in a couple of soaks I will be in good shape. Again thanks for the info. Amazing what you "experts" have stored in your mind. I believe!!!! Blain

  5. #5pjigar2016-11-30 09:45

    How to keep the pins and bushing from getting stuck on an unused tractor? Any tricks for storing tractor for long term?

  6. #6DMiller2016-11-30 09:54

    Use it, OFTEN. Sitting is the hardest function for these iron monsters. If must leave sit, store on well drained crushed rock, change the engine oil and all filters just prior, lubricate EVERYTHING before shut it down with add of biocide to the diesel some point in time during the storage but Definitely BEFORE the algae blooms start. Fuel turns black get it out of the machine before gets gooey and before try to start, do not store on a low fuel tank as will generate condensation in it and will foul a filter upon first after store startup. I would seriously recommend removal and warm storage of the batteries with the cable ends greased after removal.

  7. #7pjigar2016-11-30 10:21

    Thanks for the tips. Do I need to lubricate pins and bushing? How? A guy told me to park on plywood board and cover tracks with plywood boards. Would that help?

  8. #8DMiller2016-11-30 10:38

    As long as park on well drained gravel yard where cannot suck up moisture from dirt should be good. Is nothing can seriously lube pins/bushings with save installing SALT(Sealed and Lubricated Track) rails. Keeping them dry as far as dry pin rails is key.

  9. #9pjigar2016-11-30 11:11

    Got it: Keep them dry.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2016-11-30 20:56

    Wear your tracks out before you park it. Only unworn tracks stick. As other have said, use is the best policy.