Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 941B YOM Please

harley4jcs · 2024-04-26 13:31

Looked all around for my YOM for this 941B BUT to my dismay SIS is not for the general public. Can someone please give me the year model for SS# 80H1036 ?? THANKS in advance

Replies12
  1. #1Rusted2024-04-26 19:38

    1969

  2. #2harley4jcs2024-04-26 19:49

    Jeepers! From the serial number of a known 78 I was thinking it might have been a 76 or 77. Thank you for the very fast response however surprise I am.

  3. #3Nige2024-04-26 20:15

    80H production started in 1968 so a 1969 build date for your S/N seems perfectly reasonable. 941 production terminated at 80H3039. Production of the 941B model (still using the 80H prefix) started in 1971 with 80H3040. Maybe it is not so much of a "known 78" as someone might believe.?

  4. #4harley4jcs2024-04-26 20:27

    I wasn't doubting it, I was just surprised. The serial number of the 78 is more than likely a 78 because you posted it up for somebody several years back.

  5. #5tctractors2024-04-27 15:24

    The CAT is a 941 the 941B has lots of big changes with components, the 941 was sold in lever steer or peddle steer spec'.

  6. #6harley4jcs2024-04-27 15:27

    Yes sir I'm aware it's a straight 941. I don't know where I had gotten the B designation from in my folder. It has been corrected! Thanks for the input

  7. #7harley4jcs2024-04-27 15:28

    Could have easily been because I thought it was a late '70s model lmmo

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-04-27 19:13

    I have a booklet that shows 941B 80H prefix started at 80H3083. Could Cat have made some pre-production models to test the improvements made to the B models or maybe some transition machines that didn't have all the improvements?

  9. #9harley4jcs2024-04-27 19:32

    I'm sure anything's possible! But it would be highly improbable that that theory would apply to my 1969 941

  10. #10Nige2024-04-27 20:58

    A bit more detail. In common with many other Cat track loader models (e.g. 955 & 977 which changed from K to L) the 941 model was updated without the Serial Number prefix changing. Again in common with the larger machines the model update happened in two stages. Then first stage involved machine systems/hardware then later the engine changed from a D300-series of one flavour or another to a 3300-series engine. In the case of the 941 you can see from the illustration below. The 941 Serial Number range was machines 80H1-3039. The 941B was introduced from 80H3040, but retained the same D330 engine as had been fitted to tractors 1-3039 up to machine 80H3883. From 80H3884-Up the 941B received the 3304 engine.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-04-27 21:40

    Wasn't referencing your 941. It's clearly a 69.

  12. #12tctractors2024-04-28 15:29

    The engine fitted to the 941 and 951B was the D330C with the 4 3/4" bore x 6" stroke, the engine was still used in the 941B and the 951C until the 3304 P.C. engine was fitted in 1973, the 3304 engine had many components the same as the earlier 330C series including the same bore and stroke.