Gday all. Finally got my 943 up and going but has a transmission whine. Is the dipstick meant to go in the filler hole or the smaller breather hole? The photos in the book don’t me much justice (blurry). I’m worried it’s going to do some damage. I haven’t had much to do with these hydrostatics but doesn’t seem good to me
Nice overgrown skid steer. I've heard good things about them being good for grading in tight quarters. I hope the drive pump's not saying bad things, could cost big money, and time if parts start coming apart. Chasing little bits out of all the tubes and motors, Yuck! Open up the hydraulic filter and check for little bits if your concerned. Remember its a big hydraulic pump, maybe it always whines. Then again, big whiners should be dealt with.
A 943 in good shape is very desirable and is more than an oversized skid steer. I would think the dipstick should "pop" in when it's fully inserted if it is a stand alone dipstick. There should only be 1 location it can go. If you have 2 open holes, something is missing. Not sure in your particular case but Cat has dipsticks on the filler plug on a lot of trans. and bevel gear cases. They have a Tee handle you turn to tighten. Some oil fill ports don't have the dipstick but the same Tee handle. I would bet your engine oil filler has the Tee handle without a dipstick because a dipstick couldn't go very far.
Try posting a photo of the area around the two holes.
The dipstick goes in the filler hole try changing the filter and make sure you have 10 wt oil in it
I will get a photo for you all to see but this is the photo of sis. Looking at this picture it goes in the small hole but when I put in the small hole the end of the dipstick was chewed off by the gears in pump drive
A good 943 is awesome, a ctl can't touch a 943, I own 3 and would always buy another! Dipstick goes under trans cap in small punch out just big enough for dipstick.
Handy little machine for sure. One thing I can’t wrap my head around is that transmission fluid level is so important, why didn’t they make a dipstick that has a stop or something like the engine for more accuracy
My 19Z 943LGP uses a 7P8810 dipstick, and yours calls for a 3W5461 dipstick. Could someone have ordered and installed the wrong dipstick? And, yes, it goes in the small hole in the filler tube. The adjacent fill tube, without the little hole in it is for the splitter box oil. Many Cat dipsticks have the part number stamped on them. Does yours?
my old dipstick didn’t have a part number on it. The new updated dipstick has a part number on it and is the same in size