Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950 Starter motor

Sheepguy99 · 2025-10-31 11:42

Hi, I have a quick question regarding the starter motor on my 1967 Cat 950 loader. I need to replace the starter on it and am wondering if an aftermarket starter is suitable, or if it needs to be a remanned. I have heard it said before that using a new starter on an old price of gear isn’t the best idea. Any input?

Replies8
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-10-31 11:50

    What does the old bendix gear look like?

  2. #2Sheepguy992025-10-31 11:55

    A bit of wear but definitely not worn out

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-10-31 11:57

    I don’t think I would be too concerned

  4. #4Nige2025-10-31 12:01

    Do you have a Parts Manual.? With a machine of that era there is no information in the online system, so your local dealer will be of no help. At least if you had a Parts Manual you could go searching for alternatives using the OEM Part Number for the starter motor, if that is indeed the problem. Here's a genuine OEM Parts Manual for sale on eBay for $25 + S&H. At that price it would be worth your while to buy it. Have you elminated the possibility of a cable problem, or a bad ground connection somewhere.?

  5. #5Sheepguy992025-10-31 12:11

    Nige, I do have a parts manual. I’ve had someone look at the starter; they said it would need a solenoid and brushes (something else I can’t remember too). Two parts stores near me can get an aftermarket starter for about $500, the Cat dealer wants $1300 for a remanned OEM starter. In your experience, does an aftermarket starter work/last as well as a remanned/OEM starter?

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-10-31 13:04

    I would have a question is there any warranty on aftermarket and being the price being about 2 1/2 times cheaper it might be a good gamble

  7. #7Sheepguy992025-10-31 13:15

    Yes my thoughts too. Oddly enough, between the time I posted the original question and now, the mechanic who looked at it found the same starter that just needs a solenoid in the back of his shop and gave it to me for nothing. I think we’ll try that first. Thanks for the input.

  8. #8oldtom2025-11-02 00:05

    they where or are a Delco Reme