Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950f 3116 won’t start

BazSloan · 2025-01-01 05:20

Have not long ago purchased a 950f loader with 3116 engine. Haven’t done much with it but was running well and easy to start. Operator stopped machine then wouldn’t restart. Have checked filters. Checked start/stop solenoid for operation. Check I have fuel pumping through system when engine cranks. Did manage to get running couple of times when it first happened but as soon as accelerator was pressed it shut down. Have no smoke when cranking. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632025-01-01 08:22

    It sounds like you have air intrusion into the fuel system. Have you checked for fuel suction leaks?

  2. #2DieselFit2025-01-02 05:45

    If the solenoid is not shutting it down, I would be checking to see what sort of fuel rail pressure it has. I think they run at about 50 or 60 psi. There is normally a check/relief valve at the outlet end of the fuel coming out of the head, maybe it has some crap holding it open. Otherwise, maybe pull the tappet cover off & look at the fuel rack shaft to see if it is free. If one injector rack is tight, it might be limiting travel of the rest of the injectors.

  3. #3BazSloan2025-01-03 03:51

    Just an update people. Pulled tappet cover off and checked fuel rail is moving but also found the rocker shaft for #1 injector broken. Have ordered the parts and hope it will fix it. Not sure why it didn’t start and run on the other 5 injectors though.

  4. #4DieselFit2025-01-03 05:31

    Just going on memory from quite a long time ago, I think they were designed so the other injectors could go back towards shut off if one injector was seized in full fuel position, so that the engine wouldn't run away. I would be very suspect about the No. 1 injector, I think it may have seized & caused the broken rocker & also had a jammed rack. It may have freed up now, but will probably cause more problems.