Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 951 overheats after 1 hour

LOFAYTX ยท 2022-01-17 20:50

I am going to look at a Cat 951 that overheats after running for one hour. How can I tell if its a engine problem or Torque converter problem. I don't know if it has a torque converter or transmission temp gauge.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2022-01-17 21:58

    A serial number will get you some better advice. For now, get non contact thermometer, and when it's as hot as you dare get it, take the temp of the engine block, head, thermostat outlet to the radiator, and water pump inlet from the radiator. Then the transmission oil cooler lines in and out if you can find them. If this has electric temperature sending units, and you can find the gauge, then remove the wire and ground it to move the sender and see which is which. Does this get into the red on the gauge? or boil over? or what is it doing when it overheats? and does it cool down quickly if you let it sit and idle?

  2. #2LOFAYTX2022-01-17 22:07

    Thanks for the reply, I will take my ir thermometer along. I don't have a serial number. I only was told it's a 3304 engine.

  3. #3LOFAYTX2022-01-18 21:21
  4. #4Delmer2022-01-18 22:58

    Also, overheating on farm or construction equipment is a radiator plugged with dirt and chaff until proven otherwise. Unless you can look through the radiator from close up with a light on the other side and see that it's clean. Very easy for a radiator to be clean on the surface, caked shut behind the oil cooler. The temperatures will show that, UNLESS the inside of the radiator is equally scaled as the outside is caked, then the temperature drop can look normal.

  5. #5johnyb21272022-01-20 10:02

    see if has it has the revere able fan blade, blows air thought radiator or could change the direction of the fan blades and pull air thought radiator. Make sure all the blades are pointing in the same direction

  6. #6tctractors2022-01-20 15:52

    This looks to be a very early C Series 1974 at the newest, they have a rad mounted trans' cooler and a water cooler, a few more pictures showing the nearside of the engine would be handy. tctractors