Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 951C

Moonlite ยท 2014-07-31 19:43

Ser number 86J3347 Do you have to pull compression spring to reseal track adjuster? The adjusting ram and cylinder go inside of the spring.

Replies6
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-07-31 21:10

    No, just make sure the cyl will move free in the front pilot. Then take the four bolts out of the cyl and rod flanges. Force the idler ahead and block it there then you can pull the piston out of the cyl with a pair of channel locks. Reseal it and reinstall it. Later Bob

  2. #2Moonlite2014-07-31 21:42

    Have removed bolts and moved idler as far forward as flange on rod will allow. The flange is against what I call the truniion . The mount that is welded to main frame and has roller frame bolted to it. I put a bar under the ram and have about an inch of up and down movement. Thought maybe I could pop it out but no luck.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-08-01 09:51

    No, push the "ram" cyl back onto the pilot and the piston inside will be forced to the front so you can pull it out of the cyl. Later Bob

  4. #4Moonlite2014-08-01 11:39

    Still learning. Thanks for the help

  5. #5Nitelite2014-08-01 23:13

    To see and understand how it is made check out my thread in this Track Loader Forum . My thread is "Cat 951-C in my sights". I split my track to get to the track adjuster but I didn't need to do that, and as it was pointed out by tc tractors, there is an easier way. I learned a lot and got the adjuster re sealed, all is well with the adjuster now. It is not at all a bad job as heavy equipment is concerned.

  6. #6Moonlite2014-08-02 01:08

    Yes after I read your reply bob I got it apart wasn't bad at all. Had to work on piston with emery cloth a little and trim edge of wear sleeve on rear part of piston. It wouldn't fit in groove. I have not worked on much cat stuff. Previous job had Deere and case. Also what most of my current customers have .again thanks.