What is the weak spots on these loaders? Especially, the Japanese made ones. Are they electronic (1980's)? Thanks
I think you'll find they weren't made in Japan. Pretty sure all the 953's were made in Grenoble - they certainly have been for the last few years. Can you be a bit more specific what you're asking? There were electronics in the cab in the '80's, electronic engine control and transmission control is a bit more recent.
According to Iron Record the first series 953 (953A) was built in the US, Japan, France and TK (whatever country that is :beatsme). Looks like all of the C series were built in France (my BBX C series was built in France) and the D's are built in the US. Give us a little more info on the machine you are looking at.
D's are also built in France. We had some major issues when they came out and our TC and Cat rep went over there to sort them out. A, B were reliable, the first C, (2zn) had pump problems early on the later C's (bbx) were reliable also. Like buying any used machine, check it out before you buy it, or pay someone to check it out.
Thanks guys for the info. It's an old 953 that I'm looking at. Just need to use on the farm. How hard is it to replace the sectional drive sprockets? Just need an impact right (no jacking or track breaking)? Thanks again. Great site.
I stand corrected about the early models. I didn't realise they'd been uilt stateside. Haven't a clue about TK - Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tasmania?
yes. you can remove the segments one at a time and replace them. Just be sure the clean the mount surface and torque (use new hardware) them to spec. I can give the spec to you when you need it. Loose segments will destroy the final housing.
I'd guess the TK to be Turkey.
Thanks again for the info.
“A” models had problems/weak spot where equalizer bar connects to roller frame. Bearings at joint fail and support castings crack. Look at that for sure. Sure sign is rod that runs forward to idler will be pointing down, indicating broken parts. Rod should run parallel and level with rollerframe. Also look at rollerframes for cracks.