Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 953 Cab Heater question

showrguy · 2025-10-27 15:02

Howdy, this is gonna seem dumb, but.. We can not figure out how/where the heater control/switch is or where it should be on this machine. ser. # 5z0087 the guy I bought it from 5 years ago did’nt remember, but said the heat worked great ? Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2025-10-27 16:25

    Follow the heater lines to the engine block. One or other (or maybe both) of them should have a shut-off valve installed. Crank open for heat.

  2. #2showrguy2025-10-27 16:52

    Did that, opened em both. The problem is can’t find any controls for temp, fan inside cab.. Sounds dumb I know. searched everyway I can think of, but can’t find any info or pictures ?

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-10-27 17:06

    Under where the greaser is in this picture

  4. #4Cmark2025-10-27 17:37

    Behind the seat.

  5. #5showrguy2025-10-27 20:29

    Cat man, cmark, thanks for the pictures, but my machine does’nt look like that inside, if it did I wouldn’t be asking such a silly question ? machine is somewhere close to a 1989 mfg date I was told.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-10-27 20:34

    I'm thinking i remember some skin kits put on open rops I would start by checking for heater hoses

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-10-27 20:42

    Why did you put it in the cab? Steel mill setup?

  8. #8pittsburgh cat man2025-10-27 20:48

    yep

  9. #9showrguy2025-10-27 22:52

    I’ll get some pictures tomorrow>……… been scratchin my head…..

  10. #10showrguy2025-10-29 14:10

    Got a few today.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2025-10-29 14:55

    You dont have a heater by the looks of it. Any Vents coming out besides the seat to the back of your legs

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-10-29 15:07

    Take the cover off at bottom of cab above the turbo if there was a heater pressurized there should be two filters there I don’t think you have a heater

  13. #13showrguy2025-10-29 15:46

    Thanks guys, There is duct work beside each side of seat. There are two cabin filters in the side compartment, behind/inside of housing.. Is it possible the toggle switch behind seat would be for the heater fan ?

  14. #14pittsburgh cat man2025-10-29 15:48

    I take back my above post Since I looked at your pictures on my computer. The toggle switch behind the seat and what looks like a shutoff on engine take the top plate where the toggle switch is and see what is going on with the controls

  15. #15showrguy2025-10-29 19:14

    Just talked to the guy I bought it from, he said he remembered, the toggle switch does turn on the fan ( one speed ).. now gotta check fuses or breaker ?

  16. #16pittsburgh cat man2025-10-29 19:21

    I think I remember a rod sticking through other hole with a knob on it to turn a coolant valve