I have just purchased a 953 78y for $1000aud. This "bargain" has not been started in 3 years and has been left in the weather for that time with 10% fuel. It was running well before being parked up due to the previous owners retirement. Before attempting to start it, I topped it up to 80% fuel, emptied and cleaned the screen/ separator below the hand primer, changed out the main fuel filter and primed it by hand all the way to the injectors. The 3204 will not fire at all when cranked and I have no smoke at all from the exhaust. The governor lever was left in the shutdown position 3 years ago and I noticed when priming by hand that it was difficult to maintain pressure even though I was getting diesel pumped through the system to the injectors. I'm desperate to get it going so I can shift her home for a good bath and makeover. Any advice is greatly appreciated guys thanks.
Did you get it running? What else have you tried out?
Still no success Georgia Iron... I checked that the rack wasn't seized in the governor housing by removing the front plate (all fine), tried ether starting aid with air cleaner removed (no good), pulled the piston and spring out of the transfer pump and replaced the seal on the cap because it was leaking (figured it could be an air leak into the system). I seem to have diesel all the way to the rocker cover by hand but, some how it isn't making it to the cylinders as I have no smoke at all from the exhaust while cranking. Can injectors seize in that time with diesel still in them? It has the earlier interim fuel system. The previous owner has bypassed the start switch or key by direct coupling the starter to the batteries with a wire (dodgy) and the alternator does not charge either. I was boost starting it with 2 x 1000CCA batteries in series. This let me crank for around 10 seconds before they ran down. Is there something I'm missing with starting it? I thought as long as an older motor like this had air and diesel it would at least fire? Any words of wisdom very much appreciated guys. Cheers.
I'm not real familiar with these engines but I would suspect a problem with the fuel shutoff/ engine stop as you have no smoke when cranking. Even with no or little compression you should see some white smoke unless it has a bad air leak Hope you get her going.
Thanks. I checked the governor actuator to see if the rack was sticking in the shutdown position but, it all seemed fine? If the engine cranks slowly would that effect fuel pressure to start it?
Are you saying you actually have four batteries on the starter and they go dead in 10 seconds ? The two in the machine and 2 boost batteries ?
Have you tried giving it just a small squirt of ether to see if it fires at all..? If it does then you'll know your problem is deffo related to the fuel injection system. 2 x 1000CCA batteries cranking an engine that size should last far longer than 10 seconds before they discharge. Are you sure they're good..?
This sounds like you have dead batteries in the machine and two batteries hooked up with jumper cables? If that's the case, put the good ones in the machine, clean up the connections as you go, and get rid of the dead batteries. Jumper cables aren't the same as having the batteries hooked up directly. Otherwise sitting for three years with some fuel in the system shouldn't cause problems. You didn't find any of the fuel system that you took apart full of water, did you? Not familiar with the starter on one of those, but if it has brushes they could be rusted up causing the starter to not turn fast enough, even if you have low humidity, mouse **** or dust will cause the rust. You might be able to take the starter apart and access the brushes easier than removing the starter (but I don't work on track loaders...)
I agree with installing the replacement batteries in the battery box and connecting them direct. However that's assuming they are the correct physical size to fit in there. The OEM batteries are 750CCA BCI #31 size. From what I can see a #31 size battery is available up to 950CCA.
Pop the valve cover, check the jumper lines are tight and not leaking. Loosen a couple injector lines at the outside of the rocker cover and crank it over, see if you're getting pulses of fuel, air, or nothing much at all. You could also try a bit of WD-40 if they sell it over there, if the cylinders are dry it might help the rings seal up a bit better. Yeah, jumping onto dead batteries almost never works, especially with a balky engine, there's just too much voltage drop through the cables. Used to start big old stuff with a DC welder, worked good because you could dial the output up within reason. One thing to watch out for, old batteries with dead cells will pour clouds of hydrogen gas out sometimes if you apply jumpers to them, one spark from a loose cable or even the starter solenoid and you and your bargain machine are so much flaming wreckage. I've seen car batteries blow apart spewing acid and hot lead everywhere. Be safe.
I am sure you did this but make sure the throttle is on also. The starter should roll off fairly fast and not seem to lag or click. I have one machine that does not like to crank unless the batteries are really good. It's hard to explain but on those engines you should be able to hear the compression by just listening to it roll over. I bet you have a power problem and a fuel issue. You need somebody else to help prime while you roll it over, you probably have air in the system. The primer will get real hard to push and then when you start cranking pump it some more.
Thanks for all the suggestions. The on machine batteries are toast and the terminals have been eaten away, that's the reason for boosting. I will replace the batts and terminals. I have to do some work on the cab jack to access the rocker cover and then I will try the suggestions there. The fuel system seemed to be free of water and c*ap. Never realised a mechanical diesel could be hard to start! I'll post any success or failure stories!
Thanks Nige. They fit like a glove in the battery boxes. They were out of our old D3. I have a 24v mains booster as well I may try too.