My 953(77y serial prefix) has developed a squeak during any movement and it feels like I'm missing a grease point on the under carriage somewhere. Beyond the equalizer bar and track adjustment zerks, are there any other grease points? I didn't see any others in the manual. Thanks.
Not sure your year model but my '53 BBX series has 1 fitting on each side of the equalizer bar and 2 on the bottom of each front idler for a total of 6 on the UC. The 2 on either side of the idler are for the yoke that holds the idler for lack of a better term. Here's a pic (not my loader) -
Thanks, I pin pointed the squeak to the left front idler. I will work on cleaning out that hole and greasing it.
FWIW we grease those pins every 8 hours of work on the machine. Those fittings can be a real pain in the ass to take grease if they haven't been greased in a while.
Don't forget to keep the dirt, rocks and mud washed out of the killer spring for front idler. If it can't retract it can bend the idler arm. Replaced several on 953's years back. 2 cents.
I haven't made it back down to the farm to check the 953 for those hidden grease zerks, but I was digging through the avspare parts diagrams and they don't show the zerks on my model (though it does show up on the later series). https://avspare.com/caterpillar/hebp1349/hebp1349028/ I'm wondering if there is a way to grease the idler assembly without a zerk?
According to SIS the grease fttings are used on machines with S/N 77Y1622 & Up. Earlier machines the grease fittings can be added. See attached.
Thanks, good information. Mine is a 77y007xx
If it is the idler wheel that is squawking then it is probably time for a idler Also check for a rock caught up in the idler
I checked and mine doesn't have the lower grease fittings, will work on adding those. There are no rocks that I can see in the idler. Is there a bearing that can be replaced on it?
if it is not to far gone but from the sound of it its toast
Here is a video I took over the weekend. Does this sound like an idler squeak?
may be a bottom roller idler looks good check it wit a long bar and see if you have any side to side movement