Hi there, I have a CAT 953 traxcavator, at present the right turn brake is not as effective as I would like, can anyone tell me how to adjust the brakes?
A 953 doesn't have steering brakes. It's hydrostatic. Are you saying the RH track doesn't slow down in a turn?
The bearings in the foot pedal mounts tend to rust and lock up. It is easier to remove and repair them if you tilt the cab a bit. There are seven linkages that must be unhooked to tilt the cab. The bearings can be found online. If this is not the problem, you need the service manual to adjust the linkages. Regards, Clark
Yes that is correct, how do I adjust it to make it turn properly it's serial number is a 77Y01071:Banghead
The only adjustment is on the rods and linkages that connect the pedals to the transmission and they generally don't go out of adjustment. Open the RH door and disconnect the two rods where they connect to the levers on the tranny. Move the levers by hand to see if they move through their full travel range and don't bind. If they appear good, reconnect the rods and watch if the levers move the same amount when you press the pedals. If they don't, either the bearings in the pedal shafts and bell cranks under the cab have gone, or something's got bent.
Thanks heaps I will go check it out, so if everything is ok with the rods it's in the trans, or could it be leaking at the small tubes in the top of the trans, Only asking as i was told once before if the seals around these tubes bleed off too much fluid it would have problems with turning?
If you have leaks in the internal steel lines, it's unlikely to affect just one track. If you can't fix it, we'll have to go into a list of operational checks and maybe some pressure checks. A while ago, I wrote an essay on how to assess one of these in the field if you were looking at buying it. I've had a quick look and can't find it. Does anyone remember which thread it was posted in?