Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 953 throttle issue.

showrguy · 2025-08-01 15:11

Howdy machine ser. # is 005Z00877, late 80’s machine ( I think ?) This machine has spent alit of time sitting over the last 5-6 years, had it moved to my camp property 3 weeks ago to clear trees, stumps, ect. The issue is the throttle handle is extremely tight, there’s a friction plate for obvious reasons, I’ve been spraying that area for weeks with Pb blaster with not much success.. It’s so tight you have to pound on it to get it to move… all linkage appears to be free.. I’ve searched the interwebs many ways looking for a story like this, but can’t find anything. So now I’m here. Don’t know what else to try ?

Replies13
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 15:19

    stick a 3/4 inch wrench down beside handle and loosen the nut

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 16:14

    One more thing under the cab the round throttle linkage that goes down to the hex shaft there are heim joints on top and bottom I would spray those also

  3. #3showrguy2025-08-01 16:35

    Welp, I could’nt fit a wrench from the top (there’s a filler plate in there) So, I removed the front cover (found 3” of crap/dirt in the bottom) then got a 3/4 in there, loostened about a full turn, did’nt seem to help, but, it did allow me to see a linkage connection that goes into what looks like mini gear box w/4 bolts on the cover.. Sprayed that area real good, so we wait ? I was’nt sure how far I should loosen thar 3/4“ nut ? Oh, and thanks Cat man for your suggestions !!

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 16:57

    You got my attention with little gear box your not talking about this

  5. #5Nige2025-08-01 17:20

    From the attachment there appears to be a lot of pivots lower down in the governor control linkage. I wonder if one or more of them are seized up.

  6. #6showrguy2025-08-01 18:28

    I dunno ? That diagram looks alot more involved than what I’m looking at.

  7. #7showrguy2025-08-01 18:30

    Yes, Nige, thank you, that’s what I’m seeing, and spraying..

  8. #8showrguy2025-08-01 18:44

    Here is where I’m pokin around..

  9. #9pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 19:49

    There's a v where the leaver is on top of that. If it's the leaver that sticks out the front your having trouble moving The cotter pin (top left in your picture is rubbing really hard on link

  10. #10showrguy2025-08-01 20:20

    I’m not having issues with that, that’s the shifterlock leaver, and that’s workinh fine.. The throttle linkage is connected near bottom right in that picture.. Should I loosen the 3/4” nut up top some more ? I’m now outa PB blaster and liquid wrench …..Get more in the AM.

  11. #11pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 20:40

    Sorry you got me confused when you were talking about the gear box. open side door under the throttle the round rod comes down to a hex shaft put a 9/16 wrench on it and see if you have movement there then pull pin on clevis at governor leaver and see if you have movement

  12. #12showrguy2025-08-01 20:59

    Thanks for the help.. Some of what you’re saying I get, governor leaver has me skratchin mu head.. I’ll check it out tomorrow, maybee with the pdf Nige posted will help me figure out the rest..

  13. #13showrguy2025-08-03 15:43

    Update, While the site was down yesterday I went to my downloads and studied the pdf that Nige attached to this thread. I noticed there is supposed to be a spring behind the mentioned 3/4” nut holding the throttle control snug.. Well, guess what ?? At some point in this machines life something happened to/with that spring, so the Bushfix was to stack 4 washers in it’s place.. I’m thinkin those washers rusted and swelled enough (from sitting) to put extreme pressure on the throttle controll ?? I’ve now loosened that 3/4” nut probably 3 full turns, it’s WAY BETTER than it was.. So a big THANK YOU to Pittsburgh cat man and Nige for your guidance !!