Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953 Trans Dipstick Question

TCat ยท 2015-05-02 05:25

Hello Everyone- Hopefully this will be an easy one. Last fall I was blessed to be able to buy my first track loader an 80's model Cat 953 for use on my mountain property. I bought the unit at an auction and am beginning to work through some of the issues with it. Anyway I have noted a problem with going uphill in forward while at full throttle which has to be overcome by backing the throttle down from the detent which then allows the unit to start moving again. After reading other threads about similar problems in the same unit I added one gallon of HYDO 10 wt oil which seemed to stop the problem. I plan to also change the trans filter but there is other stuff I want to try to do to it when I tilt the cab, so I haven't done that yet. Here's my question though: Does this dipstick look right to you guys? I mean is the "S" shaped curve near the top of the stick supposed to be there. I figure if that curve is not supposed to be there, it shortens the overall length of the stick and therefore throws off the accuracy of the stick. The curve may be there to keep the stick from rattling in the pipe, but I just wanted to check, because the lower part of it was a little bent up when I first got it from when someone got a little too forceful trying to get it to go back into the pipe. Thanks in advance for your help. Tim

Replies6
  1. #1Mx8142015-05-03 23:39

    I just bought a 89 model 53 & mine looks like that also. I was wondering the same thing. Also, is that the fluid for the tranny, and the tank up front for the lift arms or ??

  2. #2TCat2015-05-04 11:51

    Mx814- You are correct. The tube on the right side with the dipstick that I pictured is for the hydro trans. The implement hydraulic tank with a level sight tube is located on the left side of (if you are facing the machine looking at the dirt end of the bucket) the slanted front end under a hinged flip up cover.

  3. #3Mx8142015-05-06 09:28

    Thanks. Can you tell me where I chk the fluids for the drive motors at? This is my first track loader and I'm still learning what & what not to do.

  4. #4cb752015-05-20 20:14

    The drive motors are part of the hydrostatic transmission system, so they use the same oil as the tranny. Does your machine have a seperate dipstick for the pump drive gear box?

  5. #5Mx8142015-05-24 13:39

    I know this is a dumb question. Where would I look to check to see if it does have one?

  6. #6Bob/Ont2015-05-24 14:17

    No not until you get to a 963 and 73 model. The drive case referred to is between the engine and HPCU and integral with HPCU case. Later Bob