Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953 transmission drain

ChristopherM84 · 2021-10-13 19:00

I’ve definitely learned a lot of stuff about this machine to say the least. Never owned one until the last month. I’ve been doing a full service on it and according to service manual there should be a drain hose ran to the front of the machine accessible by opening door by hydraulic reservoir. There isn’t one. Before I go through the work of dropping the belly pan and checking I thought you guys would have more knowledgeable information. Serial 44z00226. Thanks for any help.

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2021-10-13 19:21

    Attached is what I find on SIS for servicing the transmission, does not mention a drain hose. I know it's a bad picture but this is a shot of the bottom of the transmission showing the oil pan and the drain plug. Note that the drain has a valve in it that you need a 1 inch pipe nipple to screw in to open the drain. This is what I see in SIS so if your machine is different maybe some one can offer other hints.

  2. #2ChristopherM842021-10-13 19:26

    Thank you very much. This helps a lot. I just have to find the one inch pipe nipple tool from somewhere now.

  3. #3ChristopherM842021-10-13 19:45

    Sometimes I just feel like a complete idiot. I was looking at wrong section and getting things mixed up

  4. #4ChristopherM842021-10-13 19:48

    Thank you This picture helps

  5. #5kshansen2021-10-13 19:54

    The 1 inch pipe nipple is just an ordinary piece of 1 inch pipe any hardware store would have, actual I prefer a piece of pipe about 3-4 inches long with only threads on one end, easier on the hands screwing in and out! Be fore warned that once in a long time you can find a drain valve that is defective and oil will come out as soon as plug is removed!

  6. #6ChristopherM842021-10-15 08:24

    Well whoever was the last person to change transmission put the drain plug in and gave it the “ that ain’t coming loose again “ treatment. Had to remove drain plug assembly. Got to see how drain valve works though.

  7. #7kshansen2021-10-15 09:11

    Does yours have the 3/8 inch drive hole or the 1/2 inch drive hole. Seems I recall some have the smaller drive hole and can strip out when trying to remove. When they come out like they should they work fine.

  8. #8ChristopherM842021-10-15 13:25

    It has 1/2 drive hole. I just couldn’t t get it out. Was afraid to put big impact t on it. Oil pan for motor drain bolt wad stupid tight as well