In the process of changing the transmission oil on a 1989 cat 953 serial number 20z28xx. I purchased a Caterpillar filter for it and was curious if I could use any other brand oil than Caterpillar hydo oil in it? Only reason being is Cat dealer is an hour away, vs 5 mins to Orileys, Orshelins, Autozone, or Walmart.
You can use any good quality branded SAE10W hydraulic oil in it so long as it meets Cat spec. If the oil you buy comes from one of the major oil companies it would be pretty much guaranteed to meet the spec.
Thanks Nige. I knew I could count on you.
Avoid the 'No Name' branded oils as many of those are re-refined from waste stocks, may be good enough but I as a mechanic find more issues than not from people using them. Name Branded, Rotella, Chevron even MFA if you have one around you will be good materials.
Phillips makes a fluid called torque that meets the cat spec. Runs $46.00 per 5 gallons around me.
Are these acceptable oils for the hpcu?
Thanks georgia iron.
I wouldn't use that as fuel for starting a fire, let alone in a track loader HPCU ........
I use the NAPA oil in the implement system , but in the hpcu I use the Cat hydo 10W. The I don't have a good source for oil so I just ride my hour to get the Cat oil. I have been told the NAPA oil is ok for the implement system.
I only use our local Cat dealers brand of hydraulic oil in all the implement systems. It's to Cat spec's and cheaper than the Cat black bucket. As it's been said, I would only use Cat brand oil in the HPCU and never an auto parts store brand.
Thanks guys. I'll plan on getting Cat oil then.
Phillips 66® Torque Fluid is a high-performance multifunctional fluid developed for use in transmissions, final drives and hydraulic systems of off-highway equipment where a fluid meeting Caterpillar TO-4 performance requirements is specified. It provides substantially improved friction and antiwear performance compared with older API CD/TO-2 quality fluids, resulting in longer equipment life and reduced risk of field failure. The SAE 10W and 30 viscosity grades also are recommended for use in Allison off-highway heavy-duty automatic transmissions where a C-4 quality fluid is specified. Torque Fluid is formulated with state-of-the-art additive technology that provides improved deposit control, corrosion protection and load-carrying capacity for better equipment protection and more reliable operation. Its carefully optimized frictional properties prevent clutch slippage for smoother, more consistent transmission operation and also provide improved wet brake performance. I have been through about 35 gallons of this stuff in my 20z. No problems yet. I should change my name to Georgia Hose Blower... Whats the point of using napa oil when you can get this stuff for $46.00 per 5 gallons
Thanks again Georgia Iron. I finally found someone that carries Phillips 66 Torque fluid locally.
I agree the Napa oils are overpriced for gas station quality. An outfit I do lots of work for has switched from Chevron oils to Klondike brand http://klondikelubricants.com/ , I haven't heard anything bad about it yet, will see what happens! What company refines the oils for Cat?? I can't see it being any better than good name brand oil, other than the bucket...
I think Mobile fills the buckets for Cat.
AFAIK the 953 HPCU requirement is for a hydraulic oil, not a TO-4. The "transmission" in a 953 really isn't a transmission at all, just that most people call it that. In my experience TO-4 oils are generally slightly more expensive than hydraulic oils, however if you can get this particular oil cheaper than hydraulic oil it should cause no ill-effects to the system.
Isn't the to4 just additives for clutch transmissions? The 53s are completely fluid drive.
basically yes, hence my post above. The TO-4 wont do the system any harm, but neither is it necessary to use a TO-4 oil in this application, and as I pointed out TO-4 oil usually runs slightly higher in price than an straight hydraulic oil of the same viscosity.