I have a couple of questions for those with experience on the 955H 60A. The machine is a mid 60's D330t 2 speed powershift. First, there's a lever on the right side of the drivers compartment down low, below the loader controls. I've traced its linkage into the final drive case and would like to know what it does. Secondly, how hard should this old machine push? It wont stall the tracks, but its pretty close and moves really slow especially with a bucket full of dirt. I only use second gear for moving around on flat ground to prevent unnecessary wear on the trans. I've changed the rubber hose that connects the steel lines, changed the trans filter and cleaned the strainer in the case and Im using fresh T0-4 oil. I've considered getting a couple of pressue gauges and checking all the ports on the trans for correct pressure??? Any info, hints or help is appreciated. Oh, are these machines bad for clogging the radiator? This machine will start to overheat after an hour of use.
The lever puts the transmission into high range, not sure but I think up is high. From memory they used to push a good load but were slow when being used as a dozer. Make sure the radiator is clean, fan belt properly adjusted and idle for at least 5 minutes or until the temperature comes down before shutting down as these were bad for cracking heads, otherwise they were a good machine.
22a, thanks for the info. I've replaced the belts and made sure theyre tight and I always idle a diesel down, just something I leared growing up around them. I did read in my service manual about the proper shift linkage adjustment. Does any one know if the valves, specifically the speed valve is detented and how much would a worn shift linkage affect it? I'm thinking the radiator may be coming off soon to get rodded out. Thanks again.
You may find the hi-lo range lever may not want to easily go into whicheve range you are changing to...usually flicking in and out of fwd-rev while trying to engage it will do the trick if you are having trouble (at least that works with the cat wheel loaders of that era which had the same transmission setup). How quickly does the trans temp gauge come up when you are working? because if it's coming up towards the hot end of the range before the engine does it will be helping drag the engine coolant temp up. If you find the radiator is blocked you can bet the transmission cooler will need to come off and be cleaned or replaced as well. Like 22A says...beware of getting it too hot as those engines were indeed notorious for cracking heads.
Rusted, I've tried a couple of different ways of getting the lever to move, but not what you suggested. I'll be pulling the radiator this week. I sure hope thats all it is. I would think finding a good D330 head is getting harder to do. Is the trans cooler part of the radiator or a separate cooler with the radiator group? Thanks.
Have to hand that question over to someone else re the location of the trans cooler on the 955H... it may be a seperate radiator mounted next to the main radiator, or a heat exchanger on the side of the engine just behind the transmission the same as the wheel loaders.