Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 955K starter/solenoid

Iron Dinosaur ยท 2022-05-27 19:19

955K S/N 85J03811, solenoid bench tested resistance 7 - 9.5 Ohms (range from several tests). Does anyone know what a properly functioning solenoid should test at? I am trying to diagnose machine not starting; have load tested the batteries previously - they were OK. Also any words of wisdom on bench test for starter motor itself? I do not believe any wires were disconnected when the machine would not start, and I am certain that the starter switch was functioning. Thanks All.

Replies2
  1. #1sawmilleng2022-05-27 19:36

    To test the starter, put it in a vise to keep it from jumping around if it does work and connect battery power to the regular battery terminal and a ground. Take a smaller wire jumper and connect from the positive battery supply to the solenoid terminal. If things are working, the solenoid should pull in and engage the main contacts that will energize the starter motor. I might have the solenoid wiring confused but since you have the resistance readings you will know how to energize the solenoid. It should be a go/no go test. If you have already done this while the starter was on the machine without any joy, this test will tell you if it is in the starter or in the wiring from the starter switch on the dash. I wouldn't bother with trying to fix the starter, except for maybe if you find the solenoid pulls in but the starter does not run. Sometimes that can be due to worn copper contacts inside the solenoid, so if they can be opened up they can be resurfaced to get a few more miles out of the starter. Good luck! Jon.

  2. #2Iron Dinosaur2022-05-27 20:04

    Jon thank you very much for tips. Will test in the next few days. -Keith