Hey guys Im trying to sell a 955 for a friend but Im not sure if its a K or an L...he says he thinks its a K but it has the L decals. He said the prev owner probably put on the wrong decals. Also when I look at 955K's, it looks nothing like them, it looks identical to a lot of 955L's though with the sort of inverted windshield and all. The serial number for the machine is, : 85J1902K Also the machine has about 12,900 hours, he said anything I sell it for over 10,000$ I can keep, I was hoping to get 15,000 for it. I think he believes its worth less than it really is, he doesnt even think I can sell it, what do you guys think about the whole thing? Ill have pictures tomorrow.
"L"'s are worth more.... leave the decals alone lol Pj
The "85J" prefix is a 955K. Maybe worth a little less than a 55L, but still a very good machine. Good luck! Tony
Mine is a 64j serial and it is called 955L but actually it is a 955k. A major difference between them is the track. Newest 955L use D6 tracks and ROP cab Here are two fotos of them
Gpap, Your 64J s/n indicates a 955L. Hmmm...is your s/n tagged as a 955K? Just curious... Tony
955L 85J prefix was produced from 1971 - 1975. 955L 13x prefix was produced from 1975 - 1981. 955K 61H prefix was produced from 1966 - 1971.
Your right on truck
you guys are the freakin best lol. So then its a 955L, would asking 15,000 be reasonable if it has 12.9k hours?
If the machine is in decent condition that sounds fair to me. 955L's are a tough old loader. I may be wrong in saying this and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, 85J , 13x and 61h were prefixes used for machines built in or for not sure which, North America. 64J is also a 955L prefix, resembles a 13X, but I am pretty sure it was either built for or in Europe or both.
GPap, I'm not sure ,but the twin filters on the Hyd tank usually indicate a 57M...the later & best of the 955Ls.Does the machine have the twin filters? Guys,am I correct on this ??
My "sometimes right" source states the K became the L model at serial number 85J4672 in 1971 at which time the engine changed from a D330T to a 3304 series 78P engine. Serial # 1902K would be a 1969 K model.
Sure if and a really big if the tracks are in some kind of reasonable condition. With something like this it's all about the tracks, and really rail and bushing wear, sprockets, and idlers and rollers. A track job on an L is very expensive. And used is very tough to come by as everybody with an old L is looking for used tracks. I repaired just an idler yoke assembly on ours last year because a good used was $800.00 plus shipping and new was $1600.00 and you haven't even started to do a complete track job. This will really kill the price if the tracks are gone. Don't pay too much attention to the pads, the other parts are what count.
I dont know how to tell if the undercarriage is worn or not, I guess ill just have to take pictures and post them.
I have a 1974 955L 85j, It has brand new cat undercarrige with Zero hrs on undercarrige and if somebody came by with 15 grand he'd own a machine.
I am not sure.. I cannot remember but i think mine 955 has twin filters in the hydraulic tank and the engine is a 3304. Also i think that it was made somewhere in Europe, perhaps in France.