Greetings, I am looking at a Cat 955L with SN 85J10667. Can someone please tell me what year it was manufactured?
A fairly late 85J by the looks of it. I would reckon around 1975-76.
1976.
Thank you!
I am working on this machine now and trying to get it running. The story I was given is that it has been sitting since around 2020 and everything worked when it was parked. When turning over, she will make a little smoke but won't start. I cracked the fuel lines to check for fuel and number 3 (see pic below) doesn't have fuel coming out of it. All of the other lines have fuel coming out when I pump the primer pump. I believe this is the newer style sleeve metering pump. Can I pull off the side cover and look for a stuck plunger or something like that? Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Also, is it normal that a 3304 engine won't start if fuel isn't getting to one of the cylinders? I was kind of thinking it might start on just 3.
Probably hit on two does the fuel pressure gauge move when you are trying to start it?
might want to look for a water separator some of them had them and no one services them look on rops support
I didn't look today. I will be sure to watch the gauge next time. Can you please clarify what "hit on two" means? Sorry, I am not very familiar with these pumps.
I was all over this machine the last few days and didn't see a water separator. I will check again to be sure.
It should start firing those two cylinders it may not start completely but you should hear it trying
Look at right side below fuel tank I think I might see it in your picture it’s glass
I hope to be back with the machine tomorrow and I will check. If it has a water separating filter, what should I do with it?
Roger that, cylinders 1, 2 & 4 are getting fuel. Its just number 3 that isn't.
you will have to get a new element part number is 6n7617 they put them on machines with sleeve metering fuel systems they don't like water
Thank you! I'll go ahead and order that part.
Oh boy! We have issues.. I removed the side plate on the fuel pump today to see if the plunger for cylinder #3 was stuck. When I took the cover off, I could see one of the little set screws that go into the rail laying down in the bottom of the pump housing as seen in the picture below. It looks to me like the screw may have broken off. This pump needs to come off and be repaired by a professional, right? Also, not sure if I fried my starter yesterday or just have a bad solenoid. Batteries are fully charged and when I try to start the machine it just makes a clicking noise one time and then won't turn over. I did turn over the engine by hand and checked all connections. All connections are clean and tight. I also banged on the starter and solenoid with a hammer. No luck getting it to do anything but click. What is the likelihood, that this is just a bad solenoid? Whole starters are kind of pricey these days!
That pump is in a disgusting state inside. If the rest of the fuel system is the same your bills are going to mount up exponentially.
FYI, I looked over the entire machine and don't see a water separating filter
It was nasty in there indeed but cleaned up surprisingly well with just a little parts cleaner.
Sleeve being loose will definitely cause no fuel and the stuff in your pump is why they put water separator on them I’ve seen big chunks of ice inside of those pumps in the winter
I am planning on taking this fuel pump off and taking it to a local diesel shop for repair. In the meantime, I need to get this starter fixed. It just clicks once and won't turn over. In your opinion should I just replace the entire starter or try to find a solenoid that will work?
Post a picture of bendix might be something to try if you have right one
Based on what you said regarding the condition of the inside of the FIP before you cleaned it prior to taking the photo, the following will also need looking at IMO. 1. Fuel tank internally for corrosion. 2. All the fuel lines. If you can’t find a water separator then maybe someone has removed it.? You really need one. 3. Fuel transfer pump. 4. Fuel injection lines & injectors. Probably the most important thing you need is a Parts Manual. That will enable you to see how things are supposed to be installed on the machine. Search for Cat Publication reference SEBP1053 which covers all machines from Serial Number 85J9510-Up.
Transfer pump is in front of pump I’m thinking some of them bolt 20 was a timing pin
I took these two pictures of the starter today while I was with the machine. I also ordered the following replacement solenoid. I'm really hoping the starter is still good. As a long shot, I'm going to try to remove the solenoid tomorrow and see if I can disassemble it and clean the contacts.
Yes sir, I did pull the drain plug on the fuel tank. A small amount of sediment came out and then pure fuel. No water came out. I do plan on doing a better inspection of the entire tank. I do plan on adding a water separator. Clean fuel is currently flowing from the tank to the fuel pump. When using the priming pump, I am getting fuel all the way to the injector nozzles. They were removed from the machine and I thoroughly cleaned all parts before reassembly. I will check fuel pressure when I get the starter fixed. This should give me an idea of the fuel transfer pump condition. I do have all of the manuals. I downloaded them first thing.
Take the wires off take the little metal link between bendix and motor take 4 5/16 head bolts out facing wires when you get the little cover off with the 3/4 nuts on it loosen nuts till you can turn them turn them 180 degrees (they have a square on them that fits in plate) make sure the place they are burnt is toward outside inside the bendix is a round copper disc as long as it doesn’t have holes burnt thru it you can remove clip and flip it over make sure you get insulators back in the way they came off and put clip back on it it does happen to be burnt thru you will need a new one
Thank you sir! I will do this tomorrow and report back.
I got the solenoid off today and cleaned up the contact plate. I also rotated it 180 degrees. I cleaned off the contacts as well, but that was after I took the following pictures. I got everything put back together and it still does the same thing. It clicks once and then makes a whining noise if I hold the starter switch. At this point I think I burned up the starter when I was trying to get it started recently. It looks to be the original starter, so maybe it was on its last leg. By chance, does anyone know the new Cat part number for these starters? Or, is there a newer, better option?
Start off by pulling the starter out completely and take a good look at the small pinion gear for damage. Post photos. If it is damaged then the next thing to look at is the condition of the teeth on the flywheel ring gear.
I'll get it pulled next week and report back
This help
Thanks, I didn't have any luck with those part numbers. I found an aftermarket one that should work.
Those came out of the parts book for that machine
Yes sir, I'm thinking there must be newer Cat part numbers because when I search for the older part numbers I don't see many results. Are these old starters 11 tooth or 12 tooth? I see different options coming up. I also see that some people put newer style gear reduction starters on these older machines. Any thoughts on those?
why do you think I suggested that you pull the starter first.? Although TBH if someone fitted the wrong starter in the past it could send you in the wrong direction.
Yes sir, I understand and will pull the starter Monday when I am back with the machine. I will count the teeth at that time and report back. Meanwhile I am researching different options, such as the newer gear reduction starters, which I have been curious about for some time. Since we have part number 7S4090 from the 955L parts book, I am trying to determine if that is 11 or 12 teeth. I'm not finding any information online, and was hoping someone would know. Looking over my pictures from yesterday, I do see 1113969 stamped on the starter in the machine. It is painted yellow and looks pretty old, but I am not sure if it's original to the machine. Online searches show that 1113969 is a Delco Remy 40MT with 12 teeth, but as you stated, if not original to the machine then it's irrelevant. So, before I can get back to the machine on Monday I'm hoping someone can determine how many teeth were on the original starter with part number 7S4090.
I got the starter off today. It's a 12 tooth starter. Once it was out, I tested it and it wouldn't spin over at all. I've got it home, cleaned up, and on the bench, and I have a new solenoid that I'm going to test on it tonight or tomorrow when I get time. In the meantime, I did some more research and found a Delco Remy 39 MT 24v 12 tooth starter model 8200435. If I can't get this old starter working, I may give this newer gear reduction model a try.
Got any photos of the teeth on the ring gear.?
Yes sir, please see below. Also, I did feel the flywheel teeth, and they were good.
Closing the loop on this in case anyone needs this information in the future. The starter that was in the machine had 1113969 stamped on it, which crosses to a Delco Remy 40 MT 12 tooth. I replaced that starter with a Delco Remy 39 MT 12 tooth with model number 8200435, which is a gear reduction starter. The new starter is roughly half the weight of the old one and fits perfectly. It turns the engine over much quicker and it starts nearly instantly even on just 3 cylinders. Once I get this machine back to my place, I will pull the fuel pump and take it to a local shop for repairs. 1113969 New | Product Details | Delco Remy www.delcoremy.com