Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 962G implement calibration

jkpplanthire · 2026-03-18 06:10

Hey guys long time reader first time poster. I’m hoping someone can help me with an issue I’m having in my cat 962G II. S/N AYG00391 The lift function is extremely slow 20-30 seconds to completely raise Tilt function operates correctly. So far I have calibrated the joystick position sensors. Calibrated the lift and tilt linkages And calibrated the main control valve. I have also swapped the lift and tilt joystick position sensors and recalibrated with no change. I have put direct 24v to the lift pilot solenoid while the loader is running and it lifts correctly as it should in the required cycle time. From what I understand the maximum modulation current is too low and not opening the pilot solenoid enough which isnt allowing the control valve spool to fully open. Is there a way I can increase the maximum modulation current to the solenoid? I feel like I’ve read every article on sis and I just can’t seem to figure it and I think I’m missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Replies7
  1. #1jkpplanthire2026-03-18 07:17

    I will also add, the hydraulic temp sensor is missing and the guage is maxed out due to the missing sensor. I have not been able to find in writing if the implement ecm would go into “limp mode” due to it thinking the hydraulic temp is too high? I have a new temp sensor on order however it is a week or two away still.

  2. #2Nige2026-03-18 10:32

    AFAIK the implement calibration will only work as designed if the hydraulic oil temperature is within a certain min-max range. I seem to recall seeing that on the ET screen. So if your temp indication is pegged at max that could influence things. How are you performing the calibrations.?

  3. #3jkpplanthire2026-03-19 16:59

    That makes sense, I guess I never put too much thought into the hydraulic temp and also because it seemed to tilt the bucket back ok I didn’t think it would be in limp mode or affect calibration. I’ll wait until the temp sensor arrives and recalibrate and comeback and update the thread with my findings. I am carrying out all calibrations through cat ET. Cheers

  4. #4Nige2026-03-19 17:17

    When you go to the calibration of the proportional solenoid valves does ET not set a list of conditions that have to be met before the calibration will even start.? Additionally I seem to recall that lift arm has to be within a certain range of angles and so does the tilt linkage before the calibration will start.

  5. #5jkpplanthire2026-03-19 17:33

    Yes that’s correct park brake set hydraulic oil to operating temp high idle ect I think it’s letting me carry out the calibration because the oil is over operating temp, maybe if it was under operating temp it wouldn’t let me proceed to the next step? Yep linkages need to be between 40-45% to start which I have them in the correct range aswell

  6. #6Nige2026-03-19 17:47

    Thought so. It’s always a bugger if trying to calibrate if you have a leaky cylinder.

  7. #7jkpplanthire2026-04-01 01:36

    Good news! After more research i checked the voltage at the solenoids which was correct so i replaced the complete solenoid and coil and it works correctly now! Also im having one more issue, when changing from second gear down to first gear in either forward or reverse the transmission goes into neutral. Then you need to go back to neutral on the gear lever and back into forward or reverse and it will be in first gear again. But once you go back to second and try to go back into first it will go to neutral again. It does it with the machine running and with the engine off just changing through the gears on the display with the engine off. Any thoughts? Cheers Jake