My 962m has came up e1389 fault code and 3609-12 fault code and is now in limp mode tried changing the nox sensor and still no good, any help would be appreciated
3609-12 "Aftertreatment #1 Outlet #1 NOx Level Sensor : Failure. Troubleshooting, "Sensor (Data Link Type) - Test" Here's the troubleshooting procedure. E1389 Operator Aftertreatment Inducement is related to the 3609 but with it being Level 3 I fear that now the machine is in limp mode the ECM will reqiure a reset with a dealer version of ET.
Thanks for that nige, I’ve changed the nox sensor and by the looks of your troubleshooting procedure I now need to connect cat et which we don’t have unfortunately, we have someone coming out to plug one in though so will try this and see if the e1389(1) clears with it as they both came on at the exact same hours,
According to your photo the Event is an E1389(3), the highest Level of the Event and what also triggers the limp mode. From what I know to clear E1389(3) requires a dealer reset, or at least one done with a dealer version of ET.
You will need to run an aftertreatment system functional test with ET to prove to the EPA that you have successfully repaired the problem. Once that test has completed successfully, the fault will go away on its own and you can resume normal operation.
Yeah it is now at a level 3, I should have stated that both faults came on at 11800.8 hours, but obviously e1389 started at a level 1 at those hours and now 100 hours later is at level 3, hopefully guy comes tomorrow and plugs in cat et and all is well, I will keep you updated, thanks again for your help much appreciated.
If replacing the sensor had not fixed the problem then could it possibly be a wiring fault.?
I put the sensor on once e1389 fault was at level 3 so I’m hoping that isn’t helping my situation with the the nox sensor fault clearing
I may be wrong but if the NOX sensor was the problem surely the Active 3609-12 Diagnostic Code should have changed to a Logged one once the new sensor was connected to the machine harness, or am I missing something.? Maybe all will be revealed once ET is hooked up to the machine.
Yeah well that was what I was hoping once I plugged the new one in but nothing changed, I will let you know what ET brings up.
Hello? Am I getting out?
To clarify. Are you referring to the E1389(3) Event or the 3609-12 Diagnostic Code for the NOx sensor - or in fact both.? I can understand perfectly the E1389 Event needs a procedure to clear it if the ECM has gone into limp mode but not so much the DC if its status has been changed from Active to Logged. Maybe I'm missing something.
Nox sensor code won’t change until you run the functional test because of the temp required for the nox sensors to gain credibility.
So here’s one I just finished that had the same code for outlet nox sensor failure. It was pretty hateful to get it to clear, replaced the sensor, ran the test, failed for active code. Tried again, same result. Got out to check and make sure my DEF was good and by the time I got back in the active code for the nox sensor failure was gone and only the operator inducement events were active. Started the functional test again to clear those and this time all was successful. Full disclosure, I put on a sensor that was 2 part numbers back that we had in stock as the new parts from cat are back ordered for weeks only showing availability in Russia currently. You can note the progress in the photos. System has to come up to temp before the ECM will acknowledge the readings from the nox sensors.
Ah, practical experience. Nothing like some of that. Thanks for the information.
I now have a similiar fault codes e1389 but then the other fault is 3002-12 I’m wondering if this is the pre nox sensor that has failed any info would be appreciated
Just checked the previous pdf sent and it has informed it is the pre nox sensor that has failed
I hope you stopped the machine before the E1389 Event reached Level 3.
Yes luckily it was at level 2 and managed to get a sensor that day and it cleared
Hi nige hope you are well, is there and possibility you could send a pdf over for fault code 3609-11 on the same machine please
By the sounds of it you're going to need ET and perform the "Functional Test" as referred to by @ahart in Posts #13 & 14.
Not a whole lot available on that code. See attached.
Great help! Thank you much. Functional test is key to do after repairs.