Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 963 Hydraulic Leak

deeredriver · 2025-08-22 22:17

My cat 963C 2SD serial machine has developed a strange hydraulic leak that I can not locate. I dropped the pans and steam cleaned it all out. Got under it while running and it’s not leaking anywhere. Put pans back up, filled the hyd oil back up and ran it at the shop for 30 min(idled it not moving it) and no leaks. I took it back to the job site today and 30 min into digging its got the pans covered in oil once again. I dropped the pans while it’s running and no drips or spraying hyd oil. Has anyone seen anything like this? I’m thinking it only leaks when it’s tracking and pushing hard into the dirt? Is that even possible? I have a wireless mag mount camera I might place under there tomorrow and try to push some dirt to see if a line is blowing oil. Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies26
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-08-22 22:36

    I think I would lock the brakes go to sun mode 20 and turn on transmission stall test but do not hold at stall for more than 10 seconds that will give you max drive pressure also let it in neutral for 30 seconds between stalls one other thing you have to go back to sub mode 20 to turn it off shutting the key off won’t do it also do forward and reverse to check all 4 drive hoses

  2. #2deeredriver2025-08-22 23:04

    Thanks for the reply. What’s sun mode 20? I’m new to these track loaders so please break it down like I have no clue. I’m guessing you want me to track it forward and then stall it with both pedals then back it up and stall it with both pedals to max out the pressure and see if my leak shows up? Thanks

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-08-22 23:43

    first it's sub mode dang phone on the right side below transmission control there should be a cover with one 10m/m head bolt holding it on under the cover there are 3 switches hold first 2 up it will scroll thru the sub modes you can see the modes on the monitor when you get to 20 release switches then use only the second one to put it in stall you will be able to see it change on the monitor try it carefully to make sure you have brakes locked Hitting both pedals will not stop you they are set up so you can't press both steer pedals at the same time all the way down as that would cause machine to instantly reverse and pushing the center pedal not only puts on the brakes but it also backs the pumps towards neutral hope that explains it a little better

  4. #4deeredriver2025-08-23 08:57
  5. #5deeredriver2025-08-23 08:57

    Not seeing any kind of cover under the transmission control?

  6. #6Nige2025-08-23 09:35

    Lift the RH armrest in the cab. You should find three switches underneath it.

  7. #7Nige2025-08-23 10:59

    They look like this....... Press & hold the Service & Clear switches together while watching the display window. It will start by showing -0- followed by -1-, etc. When it gets to -5- release both switches. At this point the Electronic Control System is automatically in Mode 5 (Calibration), Submode 1. Each press of the Service Switch advances one submode. You are looking for Submode 20.

  8. #8deeredriver2025-08-23 11:02

    Thanks. Is there

  9. #9deeredriver2025-08-23 11:04

    Thanks. What will sub mode 20 do? I’m new to these track loaders. Thanks

  10. #10pittsburgh cat man2025-08-23 11:14

    It locks the brakes it's used for testing it will take drive pressures to relief setting when you pull control handle all the way back in the v again do not hold it the whole way back more than 10 t0 20 seconds it will over heat the port plates in pump

  11. #11deeredriver2025-08-23 12:01

    And then how do I get it back to normal operating mode?

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-08-23 12:07

    The second switch you used to put it in stall mode you have to click it again to take it out of stall mode turning off the key will get you back to normal after your out of stall mode

  13. #13Nige2025-08-23 12:23

    Press and hold the Service & Clear switches while watching the Modes scroll up. When the Mode goes back to showing -0- release the switches.

  14. #14pittsburgh cat man2025-08-23 16:29

    Turning key off will reset every thing back to run except stall mode I know a lot of guys that had to make a return trip to take it out of stall

  15. #15deeredriver2025-08-23 21:29

    Got er fixed. It was the T on the hydro drive motor where the small steel line connects. I’m guessing this is some kind of pilot for the motor?

  16. #16deeredriver2025-08-23 21:40

    I forgot to ask, is there a way to clear codes with these 3 switches? Thanks

  17. #17Nige2025-08-24 03:26

    There is. Set the Monitor into Mode 3 using the Service/Clear switches. The first Code will pop up on the screen of the Monitor Panel. It will display in 2 parts, eg 030 followed by 096 03. Look on the RH side of the screen for the SERV CODE icon. If that is NOT lit it means the Code is Logged and can be cleared. Do that by pressing the Clear switch for a couple of seconds. If it clears successfully the next Code on the list will automatically pop up and you can repeat the process. If the SERV CODE icon is lit the Code is Active and cannot be cleared. You have to fix it first which will turn it into a Logged Code. Post a list of your Active Codes if there are any. In the case of finding an Active Code in the list press the Service switch for a couple of seconds. That should scroll the display to the next stored Code.

  18. #18deeredriver2025-08-24 11:29

    079 617.03

  19. #19deeredriver2025-08-24 11:34

    079 467.13- alarm goes off with pressing right pedal

  20. #20deeredriver2025-08-24 11:41

    I got the 079 467.13 fixed. Had a spring come off the pedal.

  21. #21Nige2025-08-24 13:37

    This relates to the Air intake heater. See the attached troubleshooting procedure.

  22. #22deeredriver2025-08-27 15:12

    Got all the hydraulic leaks solved for now. So now it’s on to the motor so fix the leak. The front(fan end) cam follower cover is leaking out engine oil. How hard are they to re seal?

  23. #23Nige2025-08-27 15:27

    Post a photo if you can please.

  24. #24deeredriver2025-08-28 19:30
  25. #25pittsburgh cat man2025-08-28 19:46

    It looks like that elbow was welded and is leaking I think I would clean it off and run it and check it One more thing if it didn't have a clean streak running down we would not consider it a leak just seepage

  26. #26deeredriver2025-08-28 23:19

    Good eye, I didn’t even notice the weld. When I get it back to the shop I will stem clean that and take a look. Should be easy to change that out.