Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 963 vs 973 vs 983, Which to Purchase?

Zembo · 2023-08-20 21:36

I’m in the market for an old track loader and hoping to get one home with a complete filter and fluid change around $30k. I have a few bookmarked yet being new to heavy equipment I would appreciate any advise you care share between the different models. For example, on a hill, which will have the best stability? Will the 983’s mass, help it hold traction or increase its likelihood to slide down the hill? 963 - Will transport the easiest. I expect it will preform similar to my D6D. Which I’m thinking maybe I should have purchased a D7. 973 - 983 - Most expensive to transport. But once on property not a big deal. I expect the oil changes to have crazy volumes. The fuel cost must surely be high but I expect it can move a mountain. Please add in where you can. Thanks Steve Z.

Replies32
  1. #1Nige2023-08-21 03:45

    Track loaders are not really designed to work on significant slopes. They are not usually equipped with tall grousers on the track shoes unless you buy one with dozer shoes on it. The double or triple grouser shoes are designed not to tear up ground rather than for traction. Again it all depends on what track shoes are on it. You do realise that a 983 is effectively the size of a D8 with a loader bucket on it.? Do you need anything that big.?

  2. #2farmerlund2023-08-21 11:40

    I have an older 963 and a 2002 973. the older 963 I mainly use as a gravel pit loader. works good and will move plenty of dirt. The 973 I use for demo and trees mostly. sometimes for stripping top soil for building sites. The 973 is a beast will do alot of work in a day. I cann't imagine that a 983 would be nessesary unless you are in a big production job. Maybe a newer 973 is the same as an old 983? I am not sure how they size up. I have a 1974 D8H, and the 973 I have are pretty much the same size machines. They are both very ackward on hills and slopes, kind of narrow and tippy when you raise the bucket. You didn't say what kind of work you are doing.

  3. #3IceHole2023-08-21 14:35

    Have a 977L with dozer tracks and winch. Works well, though definitely tears up the ground if using it as a loader.

  4. #4Zembo2023-08-21 18:42

    I’m down to looking at a 2000 973 made in Japan vs a 1983 983 made in USA. First project is cutting down this remaining hill, trees, etc. for a pad 120 x 80 Garage Workshop. The 983 owner is really selling his fathers machine. Bragging a bit how good it is. The other guy is saying he doesn’t know much about the 973. The video he sent me on the 973, it started right up, looks clean. The 973 is a little more money. Both are affordable. At this point it really isn’t about the money. Is Japan made going to be a problem? My Cat dealership said he could not pull up the engine using the serial number .. ?

  5. #5CM19952023-08-21 19:25

    Why do you need or want such a large loader? A 983 hasn't been made in what 30-40 years? Can only imagine what parts are going to cost for a large machine of that age where not many units were made compared to other models of the same vintage like 955's and 977's. Comparing a 983 to as 973 is like comparing an 1982 Olds Delta 88 to a 2005 Lexus LS 500. I wouldn't hesitate to take the 973 over a 983 if the tractors were equal in condition and price. Without knowing anything about the two machines it's hard to give much more advice. However the Cat iron I've owned over the last 20 years, the Japanese made models were the most reliable.

  6. #6Zembo2023-08-21 21:47

    I don’t. It would be an oversized tool. I’m shopping at the bottom of the market. Semi retired with limited income, looking for some projects to tackle. If I could get a couple years of light use out of either, I would be happy. Interesting comment on the Japanese reliability. Thanks.

  7. #7Nige2023-08-22 02:16

    What’s the Serial Number of the 973.? Like CM I’m still struggling to understand why you need that big of a machine.

  8. #8Zembo2023-08-22 04:36

    The 973 is 90L00600. Asking $35K. The 983 is 88K802. Asking $25K.

  9. #9Nige2023-08-22 05:07

    Back in those days data entry was spotty. In your case I looked at a range of Serial Numbers around 90L600 and found nothing regarding engine numbers for about 50% of them so the machine you are interested in is nothing unusual in that respect. Let me point out here that the 973 has a hydrostatic transmission which can be extremely expensive if it suffers a failure, something common with all the later models in the track loader line. Do you mean Serial Number 38K802 for the 983.?

  10. #10Zembo2023-08-22 05:12

    On the 983, I copied it as he sent it. He didn’t send a pic of it.

  11. #11OzDozer2023-08-22 05:47

    The 983 came in 2 S/No prefixes - 38K, built from 1969 to 1978. The next S/No in the 983's was the 983B, which was 58X S/No. The 38K machines used the D343 engine, engine prefix number 52K. The 58X machines used the 3406 engine, engine prefix number 70V. A 983 with a S/No of 38K802 would be a 1973 year of build. A 983B with a S/No of 58K802 doesn't exist, Cat only built 594 of them in total, so the highest 983B S/No is 58K00594. A 973 with a S/No of 90L00600 is a 1984 year of build. The 983 is 275HP, the 973 is 200HP. The D343 is an old technology engine and they're an expensive and complex engine to operate and maintain. The 3406 on the other hand is a great engine, simple and reliable, and much cheaper to operate. The 973 uses the 3306 engine, also a great engine and very reliable and cheaper to operate and maintain. I've driven a 973 for a while, it was a very nice machine. As Nige says, the hydrostatic transmissions can be expensive if they blow up. They are usually fairly reliable, if the oil has been kept clean, the correct oil used and no water has ever got into the transmission. I've operated quite a few traxcavators, the 973 is better balanced than the styles with front-mounted engine. They are designed for digging and loading, and they don't like slopes - they're designed to operate on level floors. You can get into trouble quickly with a traxcavator with a raised bucket on a slope. The 983 is a beast, but an old and costly-to-run beast. It will cost a whole lot of money to move around, and burn a whole lot of expensive diesel. The 973 is a very capable and pretty modern machine, it will cost less to move around, and you can't really compare the 973 and the 983, it's comparing apples to oranges. Absolutely nothing wrong with Japanese-built Cats, they've been building Cats since about 1964, and I was buying Japanese-built Cats in the late 1960's, and they were superb machines. Only difference is, some of the Japanese built Cats used Mitsubishi electrical components rather than Delco Remy, as it was cheaper for Cat to do that, and possibly could have also been related to the Japanese Govt demanding a percentage of local product in the build. The Japanese-built Cats were the product of a Joint Venture between Mitsubishi and Cat, Mitsubishi had a spare under-utilised factory, and this was also a way for Cat to penetrate the Asian market more easily. You quite often find "Mitsubishi" stamped or cast on a lot of the components in a Japanese Cat. Remember that bigger tractors have parts and components that are a lot heavier than smaller tractors, and lifting equipment is usually needed when working on them.

  12. #12Zembo2023-08-22 06:29

    Thank you for the input. Seems both of these sellers may not have their facts right. Instead of spending the day in my car driving to see these, I’m going to work in my yard. It will be much more satisfying. Again thanks.

  13. #13Nige2023-08-22 07:47

    TBH I think that you need to seriously ask yourself "do I need a track loader for this job?". I dunno, maybe a track dozer might make more sense. Can I suggest that you post some details, with plans if possible, showing what/how much need to move and from where to where.? There are some sharp earthmoving people here in HEF who make a living out of doing this. They would be the ones to advise you on the most efficient way of doing it.

  14. #14sawmilleng2023-08-22 15:11

    I'm coming a little late to the party, but Ozdozer and Nige make a subtle point that I can't help but say a bit more on: The hydrostatic drives on the newer crawlers. Since the whole driveline consists of two hydraulic pumps and two motors that are very advanced and costly, it behooves you to get oil samples taken and a reading on the case drain flows before you consider buying any of these machines. It seems to me that one pump can cost $15K+ and if you have contaminated oil you may be facing rebuilding all 4 items. So paying a 3rd party mechanic to take a sample and check bypass flows would be cheap before laying your money down. I understand they run pretty high pressures--(someone will have to help here--5,000 to 7,000 psi?) so any contamination will cause havoc. (I'll probaby be scorned by some): but I will say that I believe if you want to run a machine that you can buy with lower $ a machine with a torque converter and "conventional" powershift transmission is probably a better choice. This is because those older transmissions are a little easier to fix and as a result a repair or rebuild can be a lot less money. Jon.

  15. #15crane operator2023-08-22 17:15

    If I was semi retired and had a limited income, I'm not sure I would be purchasing either of those machines. I guess I would want to know if you could handle a $20,000 repair bill, on top of the purchase price, for either machine, and if you can't, you probably shouldn't buy either one. If you are handy (retired mechanic/ able to work on it yourself) that would make a big difference on repair costs. You state in your first post that you are new to heavy equipment, so I'm going to guess you are new to heavy equipment repair, and the associated costs. There were very few 983 made, and very few are still kept going, simply because of the economics of them. If you tear up a final drive its going to get expensive in a hurry. If you buy either one, and have a repair that you can't afford, they become a large paperweight.

  16. #16crane operator2023-08-22 17:29

    Where did you find a hill? Or a slope? Or did you just drive one track in the road ditch?

  17. #17MG842023-08-22 23:16

    I’d have to agree with the others. I think you are WAY overestimating the size of machine you need for your projects. I have zero desire to own a machine the size of a 973 or 983 unless it was literally the only thing that would do the job. When equipment that size breaks it can be the things that nightmares are made of. I’m guessing a 953 or even an older D6 would be more than adequate.

  18. #18ippielb2023-08-23 16:25

    As someone who has operated both a 963 and own and operate a 973, you do NOT need a 983. There is nothing that the 983 can do that the 973 cant do, faster, and better. For you, i would say the 963 would be your better option. Everything on it is cheaper, fuel, servicing, parts. And since you're only doing your own projects, your time is "Free" and doesn't cost you anything if it takes a little bit longer. Save yourself money on float, fuel, maintenance, parts and just get the 963. Unless the 963 is double the price of the 973.

  19. #19CM19952023-08-23 19:24

    Since OP is in GA I would say a 953 is the cheapest and best option on fuel, parts pricing, parts availability, mob, etc. If there is no hard schedule to complete the projects then there is no real reason to buy such a large machine. Bought a 953C new in 2003 and still have it. Personally I wouldn't own a larger track loader for what we do. YMMV.

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-08-27 03:55

    You don't want a 983. Just too expensive to own and operate and parts would be astonomical. A 973 is also big and expensive to run. A 953 or 963 would be your best bet or maybe a good 955L. Not as productive but not as expensive to fix a major problem. Nothing wrong with a Japan built machine. Some had Nippon Denso electrics but not a big deal. Whatever you're considering pay an experienced mechanic to check it out for you. If any machine needs undercarriage you're looking at a big bucks to replace.

  21. #21CM19952023-08-27 10:44

    FWIW I know where there is a 977 with a thought to be blown torque converter that can probably be bought for scrap price. Engine was running when the TC went out or that's what they think it is. Not worth it to the owner to put the money into it and he's an excavation contractor...

  22. #22nicky 68a2023-09-10 05:17

    Have a really long think about buying any old hydrostatic loader.Could bankrupt you. If buying old,you’d be better off with a Cat dozer as they are much easier to fix and you’ll have a much broader spectrum of genuine and non oem parts to choose from.

  23. #23Nige2023-09-10 05:42

    If you decide that you absolutely MUST have a track loader, and IMHO you haven't made a substantial case WHY you need one yet, then look at an older 955 or 977 as suggested by CM.

  24. #24confederatepatriot2024-04-09 00:54
  25. #25confederatepatriot2024-04-09 01:23

    Hello, im a bit late here but i can tell you from first hand experience that if you dont have a full service shop w experienced guys, then you dont want a MASSIVE machine. Without cranes and big forklifts etc, doing work on the big monsters can be a MOD EDIT . And if you get 1 stuck, then only a MOD EDIT will get you out. Ive had 10000 pound massey track loaders and a 65000# fiat(fl20) loader. A 963cat and a 755 deere and a 555deere and a fiat fl14(and a few others) One of my favorite and easiest to work on was a mid 60s model massey track loader w a stick shift trans and a backhoe on the back(it was about 14000). It was very versatile and would do anything the big machines could do, just slower cause the buckets are smaller. It also had a VERY slow 1st gear which i LOVED !!! The only exception where a massive machine has a meaningful and necessary benefit is tearing up/loading BIG pieces of rock which the small machines wont do. However, for dirt work an old slower stickshift(and exceedingly simple) machine thats slower is far better for the hobbiest for a host of reasons. And by slower it aint really that much slower. You are moving just as fast and sometimes faster, you just are moving dirt slower because of bucket size. small ones are also able to be toted around locally behind a pickup truck to do odd jobs for money or friends as well as they can do the smaller tighter jobs that the big ones simply cannot do. Dont get me wrong, the big ones are FUN but theyre not all theyre cracked up to be. Like everything in the west theyre promoted as "newer and bigger is automatically better" which is TOTAL nonsense. For example i have a 1987 deere 755b and while its a nice machine and has counter rotating tracks, it is TOO FAST. And the counter rotating tracks are nice once in a while, you dont need them. It also cannot be slowed down for detail work. My 1975 OLDER AND MUCH SMALLER deere 555 is actually a better all around machine. People complain about them because they tear thenselves apart powershifting them at full throttle. Guess what i NEVER DO on any of my machines ?? Yep, powershift at full throttle. With hydrostatic you can do this, but again, you are still slamming a lot of steel weight and reversing its direction. This is HARD on everything. On my 555 i power down for every direction change and then power up like its a stick shift. It becomes a fluid action in no time and i wore a set of sprockets out and have never touched anything internal. How much of a hurry are you in ?? Lol. Enter the smash up derbies if you love speed and destruction. Lol So id personally recommend the oldest decent simplest machine you can find with ZERO electronic controls on the engine etc. I paid 10 grand for my 555 deere and it was medium hours from original owner and kept inside and maintained fairly well and no turbo and zero electronics. I will probably keep this one forever. Its 100hp w no turbo and weighs 21000lbs. That means it has significantly more power per pound than my 87 deere 755(160 for 38000lbs) and than my 86 cat 963(140 for 43000lbs). the cat is noticably underpowered compared to ideal. The 755 is not and feels peppy, but the 555 feels more powerful than both because it is more powerful for its size and its engine is working less hard to make that machine move. My most recent purchase is a 1976 fl14 in very good shape w a drive issue on 1 side. Im not sure what we are gonna find there... So theres my 2 cents. Lol

  26. #26Welder Dave2024-04-09 02:01

    No need for the curse words. Wait till you have trans. issues on the 555. They don't have a good track record and are beyond expensive to fix if you can even find parts. You can adjust the max. speed on a JD 755 and it is way more productive than a 555. My former neighbor traded his low hour 555 for a 755 and it's like night and day difference. The 755 had so much pushing power it deformed the back of the bucket enough you could see the mounting ears sticking out. I think a 555 is closer to about 18-19,000lbs. but depends on counterweights. I wouldn't recommend a JD or Fiat Allis though. In an older machine it's best to stick with Cat. They hold up pretty good and parts are much more available. Also a lot more used parts out there. 955K or L, 951C or 977 K or L. L models with the newer 3304/3306 would be the most preferred. Maybe a 953 or 963 if you wanted a hydrostat. 983 or 973 are just too big and too expensive to fix. Keep in mind the bigger machine the more expensive the undercarriage is to replace as well as anything else.

  27. #27CM19952024-04-09 09:00

    Welcome to the Forums cp. You are going to have to take the language down about 5 notches in order to be a member here on HEF. Thanks in advance PS - I'll take my 953C loader over a powershift loader any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

  28. #28Welder Dave2024-04-10 00:55

    Hydrostatic trans. is way more productive but on a used machine needs to be fully inspected because they are very expensive to repair. Early 953's with 3204's should have the engine checked out too. Not as long of life as a 3304 and other Cat engines.

  29. #29confederatepatriot2024-04-10 14:21

    MOD EDIT - Take the politics and BS elsewhere. BTW Chicago is not Texas.. CM

  30. #30Cat9772024-04-11 10:13

    Lots of wisdom expressed my friends. I envy being able to drive the hydostat's with the counter rotating tracks, its the costs and potential costs that have kept me away. Generally my use is just on my place with lots of room anyway. If you thought "gee maybe the D7 would have been better" maybe the 977 would be the right amount of "Grunt" for you. Lots of heavy parts but cheaper and easyer to find than a 983. Off Road sells most all the parts after market.

  31. #31Tyler d4c2024-04-11 10:53

    That maybe the shortest time a member was on hef in the history of hef

  32. #32Welder Dave2024-04-11 18:06

    Especially after being given a friendly reminder to tone it down. It's never helps to question if a moderator is in fact a moderator.