Hi again, just wondering on my Cat 966B loader when I turn hard left or right I seem to feel a rumbling ,( hard to describe it) , not really bad as I still are using the loader . was wondering if it could be the driveshaft uni joints a bit worn. The uni joint closest to the front of the transmission has a slight clunk if i move it by hand... Doesn't seem to interfere with driving or working the loader but only when i turn full lock left or right does there appear to be a rumble..
Hard to diagnose a rumble from the other side of the world but I might be tempted to remove the drive shaft and inspect the u-joint in question and maybe drive around a little just on the rear drive if that front yoke has a bolt in the center to keep it in place with drive shaft removed.
Have you checked the oil in the front axle? Do the level plugs have magnets in them and if so what do they look like. Pick the front end of the machine up with the bucket before you do anything with the drive line. Since the the front and rear axles are directly connected with no differential you will have drive line wind up. You might notice the front tires will spin just a touch when you pick them up. Then you can see if there is slop in the joint pretty easily. A lot of times a rumble happens when you have your foot on the brake pedal and turn the machine. As I recall those machines have air S cam brakes and two per wheel. You might check that all the adjusters are adjusted properly.
Grease The Slip Joint or Worn Slip Joint Splines
Thanks for your replys, the diff's are all fine, the rumble as I call it ,( probably a better word out there instead of rumble) isn't really bad but more annoying and having in the past operated the B and C in the logging industry here in West Australia I havnt experienced this before...When I had it serviced the mechanic put a crowbar under the drive shaft in the middle where the loader turns and said it had a bit of up and down movement but is OK....As the rumble only happens when turn hard left or right I was thinking maybe the machine is over extending its turning limits and can be be adjusted somehow so as not to turn so far..Bit like power steering on a car when you turn hard left or right , you can hear the power steering pump strain.
Also check to see if the drive shaft is timed: both u-joints-crosses should be in alignment. Typically out of time will cause vibrations @ all positions, straight ahead or turning.
Good point Stan. It was the first thought that came into my mind when I saw the diagram of the drive shafts, and it's something that is often missed.
Never new that about the crosses, so on each uni joint I should see a indent cross
Look at the diagram Stan posted. All the shafts right from the front diff through to the rear should be exactly as they appear in the diagram. If they aren't you have a bit of work to do. If it makes it any easier move the machine a bit so that the shafts match the illustration.