Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966B 75A series

nevilley ยท 2018-07-20 10:51

Hi Again. On my Cat 966B 75A series wheel loader I noticed after I replaced the transmission filter it is leaking oil. The filter is the canister type and the top of the canister is a round cap held down by (6) I think bolts. Tried tightening them but only helped a little , it has a rubber gasket but wondering if I could use the paper type gasket with high temp silicone .I had to use the original rubber gasket as the new filter didn't come with a gasket... Also has a matter of curiosity if the transmission filter leaks would this cause the loader to drive slow. Thanks for any replys.

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2018-07-20 17:48

    Personally I would just replace the rubber seal with a new one. Very few filters come with seals these days, you have to order them separately. What Part Number of filter did you install..? I can probably find the seal Part Number from that. Not a lot of info available for a machine of that age unfortunately. IMO it would be highly unlikely for a small oil leak at the filter to cause an issue such as the one you describe.

  2. #2nevilley2018-07-20 19:03

    Thanks for that info, not sure of the part number of the filter as I had it done by a mechanic , it leaks at about where one of the bolts or studs are positioned about 6 o'clock.., tried tightening it which made a slight improvement...( in the mechanic's defence it wasnt leaking at first , maybe a month to 6 weeks later it started),so I take it the seal must be flattened or torn maybe in that one spot...

  3. #3kshansen2018-07-20 21:06

    Any chance of posting a picture or two of the filter housing, might be the same as some other machine that does show up in SIS. For lack of other ideas right off does the filter below look like yours? That is what they used on the early 966C loaders.

  4. #4kshansen2018-07-20 21:24

    Just for kicks are there any part numbers on the filter can or cover? Slim chance but might be able to match something up that way.

  5. #5nevilley2018-07-20 21:53

    The picture looks very similar from memory, my loader is on my farm and will check Monday for part number. The engine is a D333, loader built in 1967. The filter is positioned on the left hand side , pretty much where the engine joins the transmission. I know standing on the left side I can just touch the filter squeezing between the rear wheel and engine .to get to the filter ,there is a cover behind the cab I have to take off, even then its a tight squeeze.

  6. #6RZucker2018-07-20 22:45

    This^ This housing was used on almost all the older Cat loaders I have worked on including the old 25K 992's. # 5 in the pic is the sealing O-ring... no gasket.

  7. #7Bluox2018-07-20 23:03

    5F3144 seal. Bob

  8. #8kshansen2018-07-21 08:42

    Probably should have included the parts number list with that picture. If the leak is external the #4 seal would also need replacing. Just a note this picture and parts list are from a 76J not the 75A that the OP has so not sure if his filter is the same!

  9. #9nevilley2018-07-21 11:03

    Hi, the oil filter on my 966B -75 A ( year 1967) is a canister type, the cover of the canister is a round metal piece with 6 ( I think) bolts / studs holding the top round metal cover on. It leaks between where the cover joins the canister at 6 o'clock position if I use 6 o'clock position as facing the engine. ( has about a inch wide leak)..I was going to take the cover off and apply some high temp blue silicone gasket maker on the seal.

  10. #10Nige2018-07-21 11:33

    Better to take the cover off and replace the seal with a new one..... they do get tired over time. I think ksh has posted the correct filter assembly that suits your machine but why nmot take a photo of the cover and post it just to make sure..?

  11. #11kshansen2018-07-21 13:40

    Yes and if you do post the S/N of the machine, I know you have posted it before but guess I'm too lazy to try and find it! If I do get some ambition up on Monday and it's not nice weather for a ride on the Sidecar I might give the shop in the next town over and see if they have an old parts book I can borrow and scan in some pages. If they have one they probably got it from us at the quarry as a few years before I retired I sent over a small pick-up truck load of new old stock parts and a bunch of books just to clean off some shelf space.

  12. #12Bluox2018-07-21 16:42

    This is the correct seal for a 75A machine the picture that is posted is not for your machine. Bob

  13. #13kshansen2018-07-21 17:06

    Bob, thanks for posting the 5F3144 number. I hope I made it clear that the picture and parts list were for a 966C and that I had no way today to check if the filter arrangement was the same on the 966B machines.

  14. #14Bluox2018-07-21 18:16

    That seal is a dash 248 o-ring if anyone cares. Bob

  15. #15nevilley2018-07-21 22:07

    Thanks for all your informative replys , and for giving your time to answer my query. My loader is 60 mile from where I live and will go out to the farm tomorrow ( Monday) and get a photo and check out any numbers. .where I live down south in west Australia its hard to get parts such as seals etc so usually have to get them 3000 mile away in Sydney. Even then I think they havnt heard of aeroplane transport here, more like a pidgeon.. That was mainly why I was wondering about using the blue high temp silicone gasket maker on the seal that's on there.

  16. #16nevilley2018-07-21 22:09

    T

  17. #17ferrret32382018-07-22 05:02

    I have the same slow problem with my 966b transmission also. When I start it and let it warm up for a while and then go to move it I start out in low and try to go forward. It doesn't really go at all. I then shift it to high and it will go a little bit but then I shift it back to low and it will move more like it should. This is in 1st gear. The shift plate is worn off but I believe it only has low or high and 1st, neutral, or 2nd. I don't use second cause it seems like it doesn't have enough pressure to move the machine. The engine revs up decent, This is the transplanted 3306 I put in, so I don't think there's a engine problem. More like a torque converter or not enough pressure problem. Is there any way to check if the transmission or powershift is weak? It should have a little more torque pushing into a pile of dirt than it does I think. I checked all the fluids I know of on the machine. Also wondered if the rpms wouldn't be high enough with the 3306 compared to the d333 and not building up enough converter pressure? Sorry to hijack but I wondered if nevilley's slow problem would be the same as mine.

  18. #18nevilley2018-07-22 07:50

    [QUOT Hi ferret 3238, the first 9 lines of your message describes my 966B as well, identical actually apart from my shift plate is intact, they only have 1st and 2nd, low and high ratio... I think its pretty normal when starting cold to be like you say in your first nine lines. I drove one for about a year in 1971 and it was the same then, E="ferrret3238, post: 757924, member: 63916"]I have the same slow problem with my 966b transmission also. When I start it and let it warm up for a while and then go to move it I start out in low and try to go forward. It doesn't really go at all. I then shift it to high and it will go a little bit but then I shift it back to low and it will move more like it should. This is in 1st gear. The shift plate is worn off but I believe it only has low or high and 1st, neutral, or 2nd. I don't use second cause it seems like it doesn't have enough pressure to move the machine. The engine revs up decent, This is the transplanted 3306 I put in, so I don't think there's a engine problem. More like a torque converter or not enough pressure problem. Is there any way to check if the transmission or powershift is weak? It should have a little more torque pushing into a pile of dirt than it does I think. I checked all the fluids I know of on the machine. Also wondered if the rpms wouldn't be high enough with the 3306 compared to the d333 and not building up enough converter pressure? Sorry to hijack but I wondered if nevilley's slow problem would be the same as mine.[/QUOTE]

  19. #19nevilley2018-07-23 10:42

    That was it Bob, O ring was pinched, found one thru a contact.

  20. #20nevilley2018-07-23 10:48

    Thanks to all who replied to my original query, it was the O ring causing the leakage, ended up getting the O ring Bob was saying i needed thru a contact. ..top view of the transmission filter canister