Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 966b loader

kohle ยท 2021-07-06 21:17

have a old 966b cat traxcavator serial number 57h310 started it up this morning and started right away blowing antifreeze out of the rad cap take the cap off and the water is just boiling out but water is not hot and at the same time antifreeze is going into the oil pan and water going out the exhaust what should I start looking for, busted after cooler blown head gasket or blown head engine was running fine when this was all going on no knock or any thing else thanks in advance for any help

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2021-07-07 09:06

    Just guessing but first thing that comes to mind would be a head gasket or cracked head. Next possible a bad pre-chamber leaking coolant into cylinder. Then maybe a cylinder sleeve with cavitation holes in it. About the only thing I can think of that could be checked with out removing head would be to pull the pre chambers to inspect them. Maybe someone else can give some other ideas?

  2. #2kohle2021-07-07 13:02

    Are you talking about the cups that hold the injectors and glow plugs, and how do I get them out

  3. #3Nige2021-07-07 13:40

    Only thing I can suggest is don't continue to run it. Antifreeze in the oil can attack the lead-tin overlay on the crankshaft and camshaft bearings and cause a major failure.

  4. #4Vetech632021-07-07 15:39

    You really need the pre-cup socket to do that right.

  5. #5kshansen2021-07-07 18:23

    Right, anyone know the tool number for the engine in a 966B? Would I be right thinking tat machine had a D333? And would the tool below be the right part number? I'll see if I have a tool catalogue that shows it. Checked my 2009 Version of Dealer Service Tools and best I can tell that is the tool to remove and install the pre-combustion chambers, any one have an old 966B service manual handy?

  6. #6Bluox2021-07-07 20:17

    Pull the fuel line off the nozzle then take a 1 inch socket and try to loosen the nozzle holder nut, alot of the time if the head broke the precup will be loose. Bob

  7. #7kshansen2021-07-08 08:00

    Yea, I recall that happening on at least one engine!

  8. #8kohle2021-07-16 06:52

    Thanks for all the replies I pulled of the head the other day and it turns out that it has a whole bunch of cracks around the injectors and it appears that one sleeve is loose .Now Im looking for a complete engine. Have a couple of question will a 3306 cat engine bolt up to the bell housing that the d333 was and if somebody knows of any used running engines that would also fit