Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966B misfiring

nevilley ยท 2021-08-16 02:30

Hi, my Cat 966 B has been sitting for a month, last time I used it running beautiful, today I go to start it and it is misfiring, I checked the fuel filter which is fine, no water on the dipstick, or oil in radiator, ,, water overflowed from radiator but I think I put to much in anyway,,, ( filled to top),, I loosened the fuel injectors which made the engine lose power in each one however I noticed the one closest to the radiator didn't make much difference,,, hoping not a blown head gasket or nothing to serious... There was extra smoke as well....

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632021-08-16 08:22

    What color what the extra smoke?

  2. #2d9gdon2021-08-16 09:49

    Sounds like you have a pinhole in that pre-combustion chamber, pressurizing the cooling system and causing the miss by allowing coolant into the cylinder. Drain the coolant and remove the chamber and inspect it for tiny pinholes...it may just be loose, there's a sealing washer at the threads.

  3. #3nevilley2021-08-16 10:24

    The extra smoke was I would say grey colour....

  4. #4skata2021-08-16 12:50

    Like mentioned, possible coolant Leak. Or a stuck injector.

  5. #5nevilley2021-10-10 10:50

    Hi ,just letting you know you were right about pin holes in the combustion chamber causing the problem took it out and yes there were lots of pin holes.thanjs for the info.

  6. #6d9gdon2021-10-13 21:58

    That is caused by previous owners not maintaining the coolant with anti-cavitation additives.

  7. #7skyking12021-10-14 00:32

    thanks D9gdon. priceless info.

  8. #8JLarson2021-10-14 02:21

    Or the ol "ELC? We just run water in there" crowd Doh!

  9. #9chidog2021-10-14 04:17

    Change the spark plugs. lol maybe some air to bleed?

  10. #10nevilley2021-10-14 07:03

    Probably Right too,,, I always have additives in the radiator