Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 966C

mikey531 ยท 2010-07-27 19:50

I am looking at a 966c Cat and have no idea what year it is, It does have a ROPS cab so I know it is later than '69 the serial number starts with 76J Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Rusted2010-07-27 20:39

    The 76J's were built from 1969 to 1980 with about 16,000 being built of that series alone, so you'd need to get the number to find a build year. The 966c would be one of the best if not the best loader of it's era imho.

  2. #2Buckethead2010-07-27 21:00

    I love the old 966Cs! I think they were as nice to operate as any brand new machine.

  3. #3580bruce2010-07-27 23:10

    Not too many people can call themselves an "operator" if they dont have saet time in a 966!

  4. #4mikey5312010-07-28 18:24

    The numbers are 76J10005, will that tell what year it would have been built?

  5. #5sultan2010-07-28 19:08

    That means your machine was built in 1976.

  6. #6mikey5312010-07-28 19:27

    Thank you very much !

  7. #7swampdog2010-08-04 16:58

    Great machines! A veteran CAT salesman told me that, in his opinion at least, the 966C was one of the top five machines ever made by CAT!

  8. #8cummins052010-08-05 11:55

    I liked the 966c aswell don't wana spend weeks on one since im spoiled with modern machines but loading a few trucks or moving piles once in a blue moon is fun Makes me appreciate the newer air cond equipment lol