Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 972K EGR Balance Valve, Current low

JBDiesel · 2025-06-16 20:45

Hello all, Have a Cat 972K wheel loader S/N- LZ4W00267 that is throwing a code for EGR balance valve, current low. Was sent a picture of the dash error by the customer and am heading out in the morning to check it out. I don't do a lot with Cat equipment in particular but do have cat ET. From what I understand, this code is actually for a pressure regulating solenoid that controls turbocharger boost? If this is correct, I am looking for more info on where this solenoid is and the test procedures for it. Thanks for for any info, JB

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2025-06-17 04:29

    Can you post that photo to see what the Code is.?

  2. #2JBDiesel2025-06-17 06:00

    This is all he sent me

  3. #3Nige2025-06-17 06:40

    Unfortunately he has cropped the photo on the LH side. In the top LH corner will be a number in the format xxxx-xx that is the key to the Code. I think it might be 3409-05 but not 100% sure. If it is then the attached procedure is the recommended troubleshooting. It appears as though Cat ET will be required. In addition to the troubleshooting you will probably also need a complete electrical schematic for the machine. Do you have one.?

  4. #4JBDiesel2025-06-17 07:05

    I gotcha, I will see if he can sent the complete picture before I head out there. I do not have an electrical schematic for it, my Texa unit may if I hook that into it. If you had one available that would be great.

  5. #5JBDiesel2025-06-17 07:22

    He sent me the code and it is in fact the 3409-5. I will dig into it and see what I can find. Thank you

  6. #6Nige2025-06-17 07:29

    Check your message inbox for a schematic. From what I can see the Cat ET is used to run various tests as part of the troubleshooting procedure. I'm not sure if your Texa scanner can do that.

  7. #7JBDiesel2025-06-17 08:19

    I got the schematic you sent. I have both Cat ET and texa so I should be good. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks

  8. #8JBDiesel2025-06-17 12:18

    Well it turned out to be any easy fix. Somone had previously replaced the balance valve and broke the lock tab off the cennector. When I went to backprobe the connector, it pushed apart. After repairing the connector, all is good. Thanks again.

  9. #9Nige2025-06-17 12:24

    With luck like that you should be buying a lottery ticket........

  10. #10JBDiesel2025-06-17 12:31

    If only it was always that easy haha. I did see it had an active code of a 1-7 Cylinder #1 Injector not responding properly. So will be digging into that next. Still seems to be in dreate