I got a tip on a fix a fail on the transmissions on these machines last week and again this week. Had to do with the thru bolts that hold the packs together coming loose and being seen as slippage on the alarms. Anyone else heard anything about it?
Serial number ?
Any and all of them. I'm trying to find out if true, then owners should know. If false, I'll do what I can to quash the rumor.
L's too.
If it's the bolt I think it is from looking as the breakdown of the transmission planetary then it's used across a number of wheel loader (966/972), wheel dozer, landfill compactor, & underground LHD models. There is a 262-9948 replacement for the original 195-7879 bolt. The new P/N bolt requires a 165-0142 Hard Washer. The 5P-8249 Hard Washer used with the former P/N bolt should not be used because it will not seat correctly under the head of the new P/N bolt. Effective with the following machines. 966G Series II S/N: ANT314-UP; ANZ1252-UP; AWY1324,1327,1331-1336,1339-UP; AXJ2576-2577,2579-2580,2582,2584,2586-2587, 2589-2590,2592-2598,2600-2604,2606,2610-2612,2615,2617,2619-2621,2623-UP 972G Series II S/N: ANY409-UP; AWP527-UP; AXC978-979,981-982,984-988,991-UP; AXN508-509,512-UP Adaptable to the following machines. 814F BGF344-UP 815F BKL745-UP 816F BMR487-UP 966G S/N: 3PW842,845,849-853,855-857,859-867,869-UP; 3SW909-UP; 3ZS529-UP; 9RS1088-1092,1095-UP 966G Series II S/N: ANT1-313; ANZ1-1251; AWY1-1323,1325-1326,1328-1330,1337-1338; AXJ1-2575,2578,2581,2583,2585,2588,2591,2599,2605, 2607-2609,2613-2614,2616,2618,2622 972G S/N: 1EW535-537,540-UP; 4WW562-UP; 6AW363-364,366-UP; 7LS331-UP 972G Series II S/N: ANY1-408; AWP1-526; AXC1-977,980,983,989-990; AXN1-507,510-511
That is way more extensive than what I have heard. What I was told is that the thru bolts that hold the pack and planetary sections together inside the transmission were coming loose and allowing the packs to slip. One person told me the bolts on the M units were only 3/8" diameter while the older machines were all 1/2" in diameter. The key to catching the failure was fault codes indicating slippage in the transmission. The fix as fail warranty is limited to so many months and leaves the repair payments up to the dealer. Slippage in the transmission indicated by fault codes is reason to contact your dealer right away and make inquiries.
There could be different issues here, and they are not nessarily related apart from the fact it's the same bolt. More info came to hand after I posted above, around specific Serial Numbers suffering random bolt failure that requires replacing the bolts and carrier. Short on detail, it could be that the threads are pulling out of the carrier and it's not actually a bolt failure at all. These are the new P/N boilt not the former ones.
That makes a lot more sense. I had only heard of it on a couple of 972M machines. I think the L models would be old enough and have enough use to prove there was no problem. The range of years on the 972M A8P serial numbers is from 2013 to 2018. I would hate to think that my 2018 972M would suddenly get a fault code on March 1, 2022 and I would have no recourse. It would be a bit of a slap at Cat quality as their reputation on transmissions has been the gold standard of the industry.
I just went past 10k hrs on my 966m and no problems yet...knock on wood. Just cleaned the Dpf filter for the second time. Will I get another 5k before total replacement?