Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 977E makes grinding noise

Inkang ยท 2020-09-01 20:48

I just bought a cat 977E and I'm learning as I go. When I go to engage the clutch lever to move forward or reverse it makes a grinding noise and it starts moving but seems like to me it's not fully engaged. When I first went to test drive this it didn't make that noise but now it makes grinding noise and has difficulty moving in any direction. Any help would be appreciated... I'm near O'hare btw

Replies3
  1. #1anuradha2020-09-15 11:59

    Hi, When you post, mention the serial number as wll, then it will be easy for some one who is willing to help you.

  2. #2Inkang2020-09-16 08:47

    Here is the serial number tag

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-09-22 12:39

    That unit has an oil clutch which are known to drag when the oil is cold and unit tends to move until the oil heats up. What weight oil are you using in the clutch. Along with clutch drag the adjustment and wear on the transmission brake will allow gear crunching when attempting to engage.